1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

90 Gallon Reef Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by NoctuVide, Feb 26, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

yea, it's going to make things much easier

2. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Your kidding me, right? Some of the best MH reflectors and bulbs are German made, and MH's are VERY popular in Europe. Our current light fixture (Aqua Medic 72" with 3x250w 14k & 2x150w 20k HQIs) is... German. :)

Don't get me wrong, I own and like HOT5s, but HOT5s and MHs both put out between 95-110 lumens per watt... neither really crushes the other for light vs electrical usage. There's more difference between a cheap T5 vs expensive T5 or cheap MH vs expensive MH then there is between T5 and MH.

What LED fixtures is your shop playing with? Rumors are flying around that PFO Lighting (company that makes Solaris and Galileo LED fixtures) is going out of business because for years now they still cant perfect running multiple kelvin LEDs on single boards due to different frequency demands that are prematurely burning them out :( I've been dying to try out LEDs...

3. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Your going to continue posting build pics from start to finish right?!

Somehow I missed this thread before... but that's AWESOME!! Congrats on the monster tank ;)

4. NoctuVide

My over flow kit should be in tomorrow, so I'm going to pick that up, a pump, and the tubing. I picked up a 20 gallon long tank and I'm using that for my sump.

5. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I so cant wait untill you fill it :)

6. NoctuVide

as long as everything works out and they get the overflow kit in tonight...I'm hoping by tonight to at least get water in it and test everything out...see how everything works and make any adjustments with the pump etc. Then next week start working on live sand/sand and live rock

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

:) That'd be great

8. NoctuVide

got the overflow kit, the pump, and the tubing tonight. A guy that used to work at ned's and now sets up and maintains aquariums was there and showed my how everything hooks up and how it all works, so that was awesome. He told me to run it for a couple days with just regular water to clean everything out, and to make adjustments and make sure everything is working correctly. I was planning on doing this anyways, but at least an expert proved my idea was correct! Anyway, here's a pic of the kit, the pump, and the tubing.

9. NoctuVide

Well, got it all set up, I only need to get a couple more things for it (heater, sump filter floss, and salt) then I'll start adding sand and live rock. At some point after the tank becomes more established, I'm going to get a protein skimmer for it. This thing is going to be amazing! I can't wait!!!

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Can't wait to see when it's stocked. I'm also jealous you have room for a sump. <--always wanted one but don't have the room.
    I'd be soo impatient to get that up and running with inhabitants (worse than a kid in a candy store) Lol!

11. NoctuVide

My girlfriend and I were just standing there staring at the coral at topic isle in framingham mass the other day (they have a huge selection), both just picturing how/what this tank is going to look like when it's stocked. We're thinking also of what fish we're going to add to it as well. So far were thinking either a powder blue tang or a powder brown tang, a school of green chromis, and couple of purple firefish gobies. Of course this could all change when we actually stock the tank. I absolutely love the coloration of the powder blue tang. If you haven't seen one, this is a pic of one from liveaquaria.com. The pic doesn't do them justice at all though. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+366&pcatid=366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... pcatid=366</a>

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Plan it out very well my friend. When I had saltwater I went through saltwaterfish.com (delivered to your door as the selection at the time in my area bit and their prices were very reasonable compared to what they are getting around here for saltwater specimens)...

Don't forget the cute cleaner shrimp!!! Provide great entertainment :)
    That and the electric blue hermit crabs.

13. NoctuVide

Before we add anything to this tank (other than live rock) we're going to research the fish and coral we want and make sure everything is compatible and what their specific needs are. My girlfriend wanted harlequin shrimp, but I just looked them up and they need to eat starfish and sea urchins...I'm going to have to let her down on that one in the morning lol

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Do it with chocolate. Haha!

15. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Make sure you add a blue powder last. These are EXTREMELY aggressive, and don't just attack the "new resident"... when they snap, they will commonly go after ALL other fish in the tank. Watch your hands around them too. They wont hesitate to slash at you with their razor sharp spines near their tails (which will tear and potentially hurt the fish if you try to use a net on them) They are one of my favorite tangs though... absolutely gorgeous! :D

16. NoctuVide

got the salt, sand, heater, and a powerhead today. Added everything and I'm going to let things settle and check the reading on the hydrometer again to make sure I have the correct amount of salted mixed. Yeah, after reading what you posted lostanime, and talking to the guy where I'm going for all my reef supplies, we're not going with the powder blue tang. Beautiful fish, but vicious.

17. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Cant wait to see fish in there :) Keep up the good work noctu ;) !

18. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

hey how's your tank doing.....i missed all of this thread.....lol.

19. lostanime

lostanime New Member

You probably know this but JUST IN CASE... make sure you use a pencil, butter knife, etc to brush off ALL bubbles anywhere on the hydrometer's "pointer" when you take your readings. If there's even a tiny bubble anywhere on it, it'll throw off your readings.

20. NoctuVide

Got some live rock today and I also broke down my 10 gallon nano, cleaned the live rock off in the old water, and put it in the new tank. Along with it, Ned gave us some free live sand with a bunch of young tube worms. So right now I'm at about 30lbs of live rock. Thursday I'm going to go back and get about 10 more lbs. I'm slowly getting there ;)