1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

90gallon Planted Discus Community Tank continued!

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by MOD_Dawn, Feb 3, 2011.

1. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Re: 90gallon Planted Discus Community Tank

I only got the red crypts which are green in my 75g, red in my 210.

The others id hit up jeff.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

The Plant Order from Sweet Aquatics:

Products
    ------------------------------------------------------
    6 x Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf) = $3.60
    4 x Ludwigia Natans (Ludwigia Repens) = $5.40
    1 x Echinodorus Paul Kloecker LG = $12.00
    1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red lg clump = $4.50
    2 x Cyperus Helferi Pot = $7.00
    1 x Java Fern (Microsorium Pteropus) = $2.50
    1 x Lava Rock with hole = $1.35
    4 x Echinodorus Angustifolia 'Vesuvius' Pot = $18.00
    1 x Crinum Calamistratum = $6.00
    4 x Rotalla Wallichii = $5.40

3. MOD_Dawn

I'm going to give sweet aquatics a whirl, their prices were really good and the 100% customer satisfaction I figure I can go wrong.

How big are the crypts you have? I can always find somewhere to tuck them ;)

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

Large, 1 plant is actually 3-10 plants, I planted 6 single root systems almost a year ago now even with thinning they grow like mad. Its the crypts I had since 2007, got em off FORT384.
    Ive had some from sweet and not all of em did good, I think they order from the same parent company as we do. The difference is we plant the plants and reseal them so they arent sitting in bags or buckets, always under flow,lights and ferts.

5. MOD_Dawn

send some of the crypts my way, always have room for them.
    The 100% customer satisfaction is the part that sold me (took the risk factor out), and they are close to me location wise so I'm figuring they shouldn't take long at all to receive. AND I like that they don't use co2, because my experience is that plants that have received it are more likely to die on you if your not using it in your system.

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

Might be selling my discus, all 6" or greater, atleast two proven pairs, looks like a third is forming.

7. MOD_Dawn

Why are you selling them off? I'd like to sell a few of mine in order to re-stock the tank with mainly all Brilliants..man I love the brilliants!

If I had it to do all over again, I'd order a bunch of Hans 2.5" Brilliants...put them on some dark substrate like some eco-complete since there'd be no worries of peppering and it's the only dark substrate I know of that's soft belly safe (used to say Tahitian moon sand was, but now reading carib-sea's site it's no longer listed as soft belly safe...and you'd think it would be with the finer grain?)...and do a crystal black background like the 20gL has. I'd swap the parts on the xp4's with black ones so it'd blend in and do stealth elite black airline tubing with black airline suction holders and probably do a black flexible airline. Stockwise, I'd probably limit it to a pair of Triple Red Apistogramma Cacuatoides, then a breeding pair or two of the Starlight Bristlenoses, at least 3-4 Denison Barbs for color...a nice hefty handful of either neon tetras or harlequins...and possibly the same corys I have now or some hi'fin orange lazerlines...and a good school of kuhlii loaches as they are too cute to leave out of the mix.
    Yes, Yes..these are the things that go running through that small brain of mine :) :)

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

Medical/health/genetical issus is making it hard for my pops to care for it anymore, we decided to leave it at his place when we moved out and got our own house, issue was my house is 120 years old with OAK timber post supports and I really didnt trust 2500+ pounds on a 12 sqft area of the red oak 120 year old floors....and my basement entrance(old skinny cellar entrance) wasnt big enough for the tank to fit down in one piece. Its been a rough decision but the 210 is going to a full on SA dwarf cichlid communal tank.

9. MOD_Dawn

I understand, I hope you're at least able to recover 1/2 of what you've spent on them.
    What made younz decide on the dwarf cichlids?...You'll have to post a thread of the setup once you get it changed over :)

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

heck, next weekend I gotta go grab the 400# of new gravel I ordered for it.

Ill be able to recover more then I put into them, I got em small remember, they are all 6"+ now, that one blue diamond male you liked of mine, its dominate dorsal fin is over 2" long now, he is a monster. Dont forget Ive got two wild blues in there too..... Im hoping the gravel lessens the peppering in a few of them. Yeah he cant get up and down the stairs as good anymore and when he finally throws in the towel on that battle the tank will sit unattended nearly all the time and you cant do that with the emperors of freshwater in there.

11. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Totally off topic and I am sorry but what does "younz" mean?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think it was just a type for "you".

13. MOD_Dawn

+1 Anthony. You/ you people/ you all/ YOUNZ

14. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Never heard of that, must be a northern vernacular.

15. MOD_Dawn

http://www.pittsburghese.com/
    Haha! I never knew their was a site dedicated to understanding people from the Greater Pittsburgh area.

16. WhiteGloveAquatics

Dawn, I gave him a proven pair of GBR's for it due to having a pair of bolivians in my 75g already, they are the most active fish in the tank, They truly with their colors and behavior make the discus a lame kinda fish that just hangs around all day like that dude down the street that never gets the hint lol.

That pair (I got the pair for free) has changed both his and my mind on small new world cichlids, Id rather have a tank of rams then discus at this point in time now, I spent over 5K in livestock and only have 13 discus left out of 30, my water is fine and ive purchased every precaution even down to $80/gr for real medication, My local purchased fish minus 3 have diedm everything from discus madness went, all my discus from windy city died, all I got left are a handful anymore and 13 6"+ fish in the 210 kinda makes the tank look small. If I get an offer I cant refuse for the fish they will go, if not as they die I will replace their bioload with smaller communal cichlids.

It wont be rift packed but itll have quite a few dwarfs in there with PLENTY of visual barriers.

17. MOD_Dawn

Sorry to hear about the discus dying off, I know what you invested into them.
    If I had a bigger tank I'd be aking what's left, but I'm CONSIDERING selling a few of mine off and going mainly with just the Brilliants somewhere down the road.

I'm anxious to see what you do with the cichlids, but I woulda thought with a tank that big you woulda just went with pool filter sand or black diamond slag from tractor supply company to save a few bucks?

Are you planning to do rockwork (likes the look of the texas holey rock)...lol!

18. WhiteGloveAquatics

I got 400 pounds for $110 bucks, delivered...... If I do soft water cichlids there wont be holey rock.

The build wasnt on a budget, it had a ceiling but I stayed in the safe zone and had a couple grand left over so paid it towards the car note.

It will stay planted and im keeping the wood maybe adding more since there wont be a big need for massive swimming space for the frisbee fish.
    Believe it or not, one of my pigeon females starved herself after her mate jumped out the tank(got acrylic covers made with access holes and finger holes in each lid)

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

"Yous" is used in my family... It's a Yankee thing I think.

20. MOD_Dawn

haha! See, I'm not the only one on here with the slang.
    R Younz goen...is english. lol!
    R yous goen...sounds funny to me, but I'm sure the way I talk sounds funny to others too.