1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

90gallon Planted Discus Community Tank continued!

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by MOD_Dawn, Feb 3, 2011.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

because I don't have either of those readily available...and I already have a couple boxes of the twinings rooibos tea (ordered a few boxes when it was on sale and no one liked the taste of it).

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

never heard of using tea to "stain" aquarium water before.

3. MOD_Dawn

found out about it online :)

Ignore the algae on the walls...I'm tired of wiping it daily and have some plecos on order :)
    1st picture added a pot containing 2 teabags, 2nd picture added another pot containing 3 teabag. Subtle staining that you'll notice moreso towards the bottom quarter of the tank.

IMG_4123.JPG IMG_4125.JPG

4. MOD_Dawn

The Plecos are coming, The Plecos are coming!!!

In anticipation of their arrival I ordered a few of my favorite pleco breeding logs from Ken'sFish which luckily arrived today.

The 7 juvi L183's that I finally gave in and ordered should arrive sometime tomorrow (edit, I just found out it looks like they won't be here until tomorrow- here's hoping they'll be ok 2 days in transit). I'm hoping once they grow out a bit that I'll end up with at least 1 breeding pair. Sooo Anxious!!!

Oh, and by the looks of it my bigals order should arrive tomorrow too. Looks like I'll be able to get the eheim 2236 up and running on the tank finally and also be able to start dosing the tank with some flourish excel (I know some plants that will be happy happy happy).

5. buzz4520

7 L183's.....lucky you......can't wait to see pics !!!!!!!

6. MOD_Dawn

7. MOD_Dawn

The Homemade divider is in!
    The smaller divided section with the driftwood contains the L183's and some neon tetras for right now.
    ai49.tinypic.com_20r5wyf.jpg

8. buzz4520

• Like Like x 1
  9. MOD_Dawn

Lol, yea..they are itty bitty. They hide extremely well too...I find myself trying to find them and hoping they are all eating!
    I have one that I can always easily find- loves hiding between the top of the heater and the intake extension of the xp4 & another who is simply in love with the driftwood...clueless as to where the others are?!?

10. MOD_Dawn

Stocking is thinning out a bit due to several discus being rehomed.
    Remaining discus:
    Silver Pigeon
    Pigeon Blood (blue I think-I believe it was the pigeon blood red I rehomed. but they look so similar I could be wrong?).
    2 Marlboros
    1 Fire Red female that I swear is a marlboro
    1 Brilliant male

11. MOD_Dawn

1. Water tested. Ammonia 0, nitrite o, nitrate 5.0, phosphates o or 2.5 (hard to distinguish between the 1st & 2nd color).
    2. Inside walls on the Discus side were brushed clean (tom cleaning wand & toothbrush dedicated for fish tank use)
    3. Compact sword on L183 side was moved to the rear of that side, current kept uprooting it (the roots were VERY short which seems to be the issue). Also added 2 of the taller sprigs of cabomba just along each side of the driftwood.
    4. Pulled the spongebob house that's in the front of that section (so gawdy, and the plecos didn't seem to be interested in it...still left the one in the back though- figuring it can "grow" algae. Haha!)
    5. Partial performed-Prime and Flourish added (still have a bit left from an old jug so I'm dosing it weekly after partials are done).
    6. All 6 L183's accounted for- tossed in a Hikari algae wafer for them hoping they'll munch on it.
    7. In the morning I'll add the Flourish excel (I'm adding it daily), although I can't say I'm seeing any difference with adding it though? Plants seem at a standstill.

12. MOD_Dawn

Today's Picture...I think the plants look like they are at a standstill when it comes to growth, but then again maybe it's too soon? The prior photo was from a week ago & this photo is from today.
    ai47.tinypic.com_fuxrua.jpg

13. MOD_Dawn

New Pictures 7-30-12:
    PAIR OF RAMS
    ai46.tinypic.com_8yvwno.jpg
    SCHOOL OF ROSELINE/DENISON BARBS
    ai49.tinypic.com_14jaykh.jpg
    SCHOOL OF GLASS CATFISH
    ai49.tinypic.com_x24e9w.jpg
    CLOWN LOACH
    ai48.tinypic.com_ao0qrl.jpg
    STARLIGHT BRISTLENOSE PLECO
    ai49.tinypic.com_i24k88.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. buzz4520

fish are looking great !! how's the new plecos doing ?

15. MOD_Dawn

The new plecos are doing great, little poop machines! Amazing how much of a mess they produce in comparison to the other bristlenoses that I've kept. A couple have already doubled in size and they are extremely active grazers (24/7 wood & glass) in comparison to the other ones I had which would lazily ignore algae and just wait for a wafer to land in front of them.

Plants are showing growth now too, the wallichii have easily doubled to nearly tripled in height...cabomaba's getting some height too (just not as fast as when I previously kept it, which strikes me as a bit odd)...wendtii still seems to be at a standstill (alive, just not any new growth or seedlings...and previously that stuff did awesome for me in the 90g) & the Banana plants leaves are looking larger with long stems growing out/alongside the bananas.

I truthfuly think they changed the eco-complete somehow. The appearance/grain size was different & I found several "white" stones (calcium). I think this is why i'm seeing a difference in plant growth in comparison to when I kept the same types of plants in this substrate previously (without dosing) and the growth was amazing back then.