1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

a few questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

ok, I need some help. As i forget everything so basicly I am starting from scrap. so here are my questions.
    1. How long do I need to bake my drift wood for?

2. Do I need a heater? The room It is going in is giant and it doesnt get to cold ( I just dont know where it is right now)

3. Will a betta jump out of the tank till I get a hood?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

can't help ya on #1 as I never bake mine... I soak it and brush it with a old toothbrush set aside for fishy stuff.
    That or if it really looks horrid (like the brush algae outbreak) I'll do a bleach soak-rinse-prime soak-air dry-sniff test.

#2 depends on the rooms temperature, stick a thermometer in the tank (preferably one with a probe) and see if your getting fluctation (love the tom temp alerts for this being you can push a button and see the highest-lowest temp the tank was).

#3 doubt it if it's a fancy one with the long finnage and NOT a female. Simply don't fill the tank to the top (leave a 1&1/2-2" gap at the surface).

3. Leslie

the betta is a female. and i found my heaters.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Is this found driftwood you want to bake ?

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

it ended up catching on fire (the driftwood)...see her post here--> baking driftwood, catches on fire.

6. Leslie

no, i bought it a while back, just now getting to use it. only one peice cought.