1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

(?) about neon eggs...

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

(?) about neon eggs...
    I got 3 neon tetras and I got eggs.

Dunno which is the male. I need help- I want neon babies. :))

stay sexy!

oh, and here is a pic from the net, of what they look like.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.centralpets.com/critter_images/fish/freshwater_fish/FWF_0004630_20020601225736.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.centralpets.com/critter_imag ... 225736.jpg</a>

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

How do I get them to hatch?

I got 3 fish and can't figure it out who lays the eggs, and who is the male.

I want baby neons :) help!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    :D

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You may not have any males. How many in total do you have ?

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have 3 total.

Each is different size. :D

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have no idea how to sex a neon.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Um, there are only two "sexes", so how can each be different. Also, how are you telling the difference ?

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Read slower anthony lol, Dont worry I have this same problem.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:oops: LoL I feel stupid.

Size doesn't always determine sex.

9. fishfirst

fishfirst New Member

male neon's are thin and females are fat (when full of eggs).

10. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

dont know what to tell you have never had nor have i ever known anyone with a breeding neon

11. luvfish

luvfish New Member

Look at them from above and the difference will be clear. The male will be slim and long bodied and the female fatter and stouter too just like Fishfirst said. (Although the females will always be fatter/stouter even when they have no eggs)

In order to raise the fry you must first provide a few things. A seperate tank for the spawning fish, some sort of substrate for the eggs to fall into (so the adults don't eat them) and a dark room. I like to use marbles or java moss, etc...just something for the eggs to get down into. Get the tank set up in a dark room and put all three fish in it when the female looks even fatter than usual. Keep the tank in the dark. This is important! When you check on the fish use a flashlight. Once you see that the female is no longer really fat remove the adults. This might take a day or two. Leave the tank in the dark for 4 days or until you see fry with your flashlight. Once the eggs hatch it is safe to put the lights on. Neon eggs are UV sensitive and will die with the light. Think of their natural habitat, dark tannin stained waters with a ton of mulm on the bottom. This is where the eggs fall in the wild.
    Before you start all this it's going to be important that you get several insuforia cultures going so you have something to feed the fry.

Good luck! ;)