1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

about to build my sump, got ???'s

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by blowfishRus6, Feb 9, 2010.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

the pump is 1017 at 0 feet. 750 is at 4 feet high. i guess thats what head means??

how do you figure out the flow on the overflows???

after getting to the parts store and looking at the 2in pipe, it looked HUGE so i went with the 1.5in.

rubber cement is drying now, should find out later if it can keep up.

2. blowfishRus6

badda bing badda boom. that did the trick.

the 1.5 piping almost did the trick, it only needs a little help from the 3/4 pipe.

3. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

That's what head means.
    There are calculator on they net that will figure it for you, some will even figure the lose for the fittings(90's 45's etc) but that is minimal

A 2" flows 1760gal/hr @ 36"

4. blowfishRus6

will the rocks in my sump hold alot of good bacteria??

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Yes, I am using bio balls in the sump I have now but remember quite a few years back we used to use rocks/gravel in the sumps and that being porous and coarse they give the bacteria a good place to colonize.

6. blowfishRus6

what if the rocks are in the bottom of the sump and the water is not nessicerly getting pulled thru the rocks???

the rocks are not in my actual filter bucket, just in the bottom of my sump.

7. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

It will still grow a some bacteria, It would grow more with the water flowing through it, but the bacteria will colonize every surface in a tank where oxygen is available given time. That why an aquarium becomes more stable as time goes on

Rick

8. blowfishRus6

ill add them to the bottom of the filter bucket when i go to clean the filters.

thanks.

9. blowfishRus6

DOHHHH!!

hose came off the pump today, about 20 gals got spread across the carpet.

out of all the things to go wrong, i did not think that would happen. clamps FTW.

10. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Yep seen that one before makes big mess don't it!
    last time it happen to me(a cracked return pipe) it pump out about a hundred gallons but I have a tile floor with a floor drain so didn't do any damage

rick

11. WhiteGloveAquatics

When I rehabed my basement I put in ceramic and drains in every room, I also live on the river so this helps alot.

Ive had the hose pop off my canister before but if it went on the sump per where O/F box is and sump id maybe have 10g on the floor.
    Ive been very happy with not doing any DIY less the 1-2 split into the sump itself from the O/F box. I am making my own O/F box with specimen containers per instructions on my site.

12. blowfishRus6

i need a floor drain :oops:

13. WhiteGloveAquatics

you are in georgia, you guys dont have basements do you?

before my drains I had a water pump and just made sure before a storm I had my channels down and it drained away that way but those PIG mats get expensive.

14. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

When we pour the floor for my fish room the guy who did the slab work was so worried about the drain ending up to high that he set them in little depression maybe a half inch low. Them finished little bowls around them. They look good till the tile man trying to cut the tile in around them. He evidently had never seen a floor drain before and muck up the job to the point that it couldn't be saved and end up being a do over.

Rick

15. blowfishRus6

no basement here. the tank is in the living room, might not be fesable to put one in, but if i ever set up a room for it i know what i should do.

ha, sucks about the tiling.