1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Advice on 30 gallon Reef Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by DarkDemolition, Aug 26, 2009.

1. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition Thread Starter New Member

I just been thinking setting up a 30 Gallon Reef Tank and I was wondering if anyone can give me a good run down.Therefore what I need in the tank and equipment pretty much a nice begginner tank list.If it's possible the best product to use when it comes to sand,salt,skimmer,light...etc.. Thanks you everyone... ;)

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2756&st=0&sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2756&st=0&sk=t&sd=a</a>

in no particular order:

>Light fixture (wattage depends on what your keeping..ie. coral)
    >canopy (glass or eggcrate/light diffuser and zip ties)
    >Substrate (live sand, mixture of live and aragonite, etc) 3" - 4" depth for deep sand bed.
    >Filtration (canister as you want little surface disruption...rena xp line is good and saltwater safe)
    >Powerheads to prevent dead spots (Koralia's are good)
    >Protein Skimmer (Cpr Backpaks Are good hob)
    >Timers (if you plan on running the lights or powerheads on them)
    >Live Rock
    >Heater and Thermometer (Both saltwater safe ones)
    >Ro/di system (not completely necessary...but oh so beneficial)
    >Salt for saltwater tank and Hydrometer to test salinity
    >Saltwater master test kit (Api has one I believe...I think I used RedSea before)
    >UV Sterilizer (not completely necessary....but very helpful imo)
    >Quarantine tank (saltys are expensive...you def. want to qt)
    >Additives (depending on what your keeping and what type of water your using)
    >Wavemaker (optional)
    >Powerstrip (for all the various plugs)
    >siphon or auto water change system for partials (new garbage can is great for pre-mixing the saltwater mixture and allowing it to "set"....just add a powerhead and heater )

3. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

also a sump is always good to have to hide your equipment, i would love to have one but i can't with my stand

4. DarkDemolition

thanks so much you guys for the advice.. [dancing] anymore pls feel free..

5. DarkDemolition

If it's possible to let me know what are the conditioners,buffs,or anything would help the fish as the coral in the tank?

6. kalebsdad21

kalebsdad21 New Member

Scrap the hydometer get a refractometer much more accurate. Any kind of stuff you will add will depend on the coral you get.

7. DarkDemolition

Hey you guys I was just wondering is these Wet/Dry combo skimmer would work for the 30 gallon reef? Check it out if it's suitable <a class="postlink" href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16747.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... id=16747..</a>. any other suggestion would be great.. thanks you peeps

Sorry I meant to put these up instead: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=16747</a>

8. kalebsdad21

kalebsdad21 New Member

Looks like junk to me. Cant be cheap in this hobby will cost you more in the long run. Buy the best skimmer you can afford.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

agreed with the looks crappy opinion.
    You definately don't want cheap equipment...if your gonna do it your better off doing it "right" from the start.

10. DarkDemolition

I appreciate the comment and I need the advice more then never. I appreciate you honesty and you guys are the expert, that's why I'm here for advice.. I appreciate... :D ;)

P.S. Don't worry I won't be getting that skimmer and getting hell of a lot better one and suitable for my reef tank.... [dancing]

11. DarkDemolition

Would these skimmer/filter Rapids Pro Series Wet/Dry Filter Systems can be suitable for the 30 gallon reef?Let me know if you any other suggestion....

12. California Cowgirl

check out the reef ocotopus bh 100f if it will fit on your tank, aquacave has it for $150 and ocotopus is a brand with a great rep, i have the 800 and the 100 should be fine for your tank

13. DarkDemolition

Thanks for the advice... it's actually cheaper then the one I want awesome.. thanks very much .. Question can I go with a regular filter something like Fluval,Marinland Canister.Let me know thanks

14. California Cowgirl

some say you need a filter, and some say you dont. So many people will have different opinons on filter, but i have seen people run canister filters. I have a marineland empeoro 400 hob filter on mine. But your live rock also serves as a filter, so you really don't HAVE to have one but i think it's always good to have one to pick up things that the skimmer and live rock can't

15. DarkDemolition

I was thinking same too I guess I'll get a filter just for backup..

16. DarkDemolition

Well I thinking about it very hard and maybe I'll be up grade the tank up too 75 gallon Reef... Like I've read and researsh I guess it's more patients then a 30 gallon reef.... :D

17. DarkDemolition

Basically I'm going to sell a few of my Afican Cichlid and put 2-3 in the 30 gallon or a pair and then the75 gallon make it into a reef aquarium,... I guess it's a plan

18. kalebsdad21

kalebsdad21 New Member

The 75 will be much easier less swings. And you will have a bigger option with fish and coral.

19. DarkDemolition

yah no doubt so that's what I'm going to do starting in a few weeks and then I'll take it from their.Also thanks for the advice on the conditioners .. I'll be posting updates on my aquaruim very soon .. thanks again
    dude

20. kalebsdad21

kalebsdad21 New Member

No prob any time.