1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Advice on 30 gallon Reef Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by DarkDemolition, Aug 26, 2009.

1. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition Thread Starter New Member

No not yet just wondering if that the skimmer I posted up is suitable.. I just been doing research for almost month now and I just want to make sure I get everything need... So as if now I'm making a list of equipment,coral,Fishes,skimmers,conditioners... etc.. Hopefully soon just propering slowly and no rush at all ....

2. kalebsdad21

kalebsdad21 New Member

I have only heard bad things about them people around hear will almost give them away they hate them that much.

3. DarkDemolition

If you may have maybe a list of the item ....I will need for a sump an expensive one and the skimmer as well.. Either I hang on skimmer or sump....Let me know I rather a hanger skimmer or sump ...

4. DarkDemolition

Can I go with a by Dual Bak-Pak Hang-On Protein Skimmer it look pretty decent... let me know it's good

5. kalebsdad21

kalebsdad21 New Member

Your best off doing a diy sump will save you money and you can make it the way the best fits your tank. The skimmer and the lights are one of the most imp things for a reef tank you want to do it right te first time or you will end up spending way more in the long run. I didnt do it right the first time and i spent way to much. I am going to be setting up a 4 foot 120 soon and that will be costing me over 3k to set up without anything in it.

6. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

an Octopus brand skimmer is good, they have great reviews. The only bad thing i've heard about them is that their instructions suck, and their break in period sucks also. I got the Octopus bh 800s for my 46. It was pretty easy to setup, but it didn't come with an air valve so i'm still trying to get ahold of one

7. DarkDemolition

Ok these a lot of opition to chose from .. I still need one item that's a afortable and a great smup and skimmer or a combo items.. plz giving me something to work with :confused:... lol

8. California Cowgirl

my ocotopus was $250 and is a HOB if you go octo skimmer they have skimmers for sumps, but i'm not sure which ones, so i guess you will just have to look around

9. California Cowgirl

oh and if your trying to save money, good luck, i have spent almost $2,000 on my setup once i get my light, and it's only for a 46. The only downside of going big is the prices get much bigger so good luck :D

10. DarkDemolition

I'll give you give options on which one I should get and better off with...

Google these item

-Rapids Pro Series Wet/Dry Filter Systems
    - AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer with Drain Fitting &
    Rio 1400 Pump
    -Eshopps Wet-Dry Filters + Eshopps In-Sump Protein Skimmers + Eshopps Overflow Boxes
    -Dual Bak-Pak Hang-On Protein Skimmer
    by CPR Aquatics

Please let me know if any of these items are suitable for my 75 Gallon Reef Tank......Or any suggest you may have post the name or the website I can purchase the item .. so let me know I hope it's not to much .. thanks guys again [odd]

11. DarkDemolition

Just adding more of the Skimmer that pretty good..

Google Item Please

-Reef Octopus BH 300 Dual Hang on Back Protein
    Skimmer
    -Reef Octopus BH 300F Dual Hang-on-Back Protein Skimmer with Filter
    System

Let me know you guys .. THANK YOU!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaC_Remora_Pro_Hang_On_Protein_Skimmer_Hang_On_Spray_Injection_Protein_Skimmers-AquaC-AC3121-FIPSHOSI-vi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaC_Remora ... SI-vi.html</a>

aquac remora pro gets great reviews...did tons of reading and if your looking for low profile without hogging a ton of space this is the way to go imo. (I was going to get one when I had my salty setup..was planning to upgrade from my seaclone 150, but never got a chance to).
    according to site they say it's good for up to 120g...but if you were to go with this one I'd get the mag-drive 3.

Ps. You can read others reviews on it through the link!
    I've also seen a pre-skimmer box that goes over it somehow.

Here's more reviews through epinion--> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.epinions.com/reviews/AquaC_Remora_Pro_HOT_Skimmer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.epinions.com/reviews/AquaC_R ... OT_Skimmer</a>

13. kalebsdad21

kalebsdad21 New Member

Ifgoing withahangon unit. You will just need to watch what you will be stocking in the tank. Any hang on I have seen can not handle a heavy bio load.With it being a 75 I would keep away from this rout but if that is the way that fits you best by all means go for it. I would just say get the one that has the highest gallon rating you can find.

14. DarkDemolition

so what should I get for wet/dry and a skimmer.. give me a good example of them both.. that's why I posted a fe above the messages I posted.. to tell me which is best.. or post a good wet/dry and skimmer...give a link or a name of a product.. [odd] going crazy lol

15. kalebsdad21

kalebsdad21 New Member

Your best off with a drilled tank or one with some sort of over flow. Set up the sump with a good skimmer and a fiter sock. Look up sumps and see what kind would be best for you situation.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--didn't have room for a sump :(
    I soo wanted to drill the floor and put a tank directly below the salty when I had it (to hide all the equipment and give me more volume)

Would be a great option IF your able to of course!

17. DarkDemolition

I wish I can do it that.. but don't have the abuility to make house on to my room lol.. but still getting some supplies for my tank ... I have couple of things before I start.. Everything is working out fine at the moment

18. California Cowgirl

a sump would be really nice to have. My stand doesn't allow me to have one, plus i can't drill my tank since it's tempered glass, but oh well.

19. DarkDemolition

Well soon enough I'll be setting my 75 Reef tanks.. soon.. very very sooonnn lool... I haven't stop researching and soon I'll have the sand,filte running soon.. I'll give you guys some updates..

20. DarkDemolition

So far I was thinking getting sump like everyone suggesting and already have idea what I'll purchasing very soon.. Items are Mag Drive Pump, Eshopps Wet-Dry, Filters, Eshopps Overflow Boxes... don't don't know what's the best bottom skimmer let me know guys .. I appreciate you guys..