1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Algae growing in brackish tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 27, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

So i noticed that on a decoration in my puffer's tank that there is some fuzzy algae growing. Temp is between mid 70s and lower 80s. Do you think it's ok to keep some of the algae in the tank so i have some "real" plant life in there. I would keep it under control, it's only in a few small spots on the decoration

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If it doesn't bother you it's not really a problem to keep it in the tank. You will have to make sure it doesn't get out of control though.

3. California Cowgirl

ok, right now it's just really small and only in a few spots, lol hey if it's one "plant" that i don't have to really take care of i'll keep it. I like how dark green it is. Once it start's growing more, any ideas on how to control the algae growtih so it won't get out of hand?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Don't overfeed, don't keep the lights on too much and do weekly water changes. Those things should keep it under control.

5. California Cowgirl

ok, and that's what i do already, i only give him a pinch of plankton, gets 12 hours of light, and once a week water changes