1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Ammonia

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by bouncer36, Jul 11, 2012.

1. bouncer36

bouncer36 Thread Starter Member

ok here what i done went to petsmart and had my water tested guess what they told me that my ammonina was had been using the same one for aleast four or five year , got home with it and tested my tank with the new and here is what i got ph is 7.6 which i like to keep it at 7.0, ammonia is 0.50 better but not good, nitrite 0 yay, nitrate 5.0 ugh
    so guess who doing another 50% water change in a min or two

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Nitrate in a healthy tank should be about 5, so don't worry about that.

3. bouncer36

I was told that the ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate had to be at 0

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

in new aquariums nitrates will gradually climb as the biological filter becomes established.
    40ppm or less is recommended for freshwater. If you keep something like say Discus or inverts...then you want it to be much lower (I always aim for 20ppm or less being I keep discus).

Partials/water changes won't always help with nitrate reduction either (some water sources are high in nitrates).
    If you run into this issue then you'll want to use something like api NITRA-ZORB (media that will be placed in your filter) or possibly purchase something like an api tap water filter.

5. bouncer36

Ok this is not a new tank it has been set for 2 or more years

6. bouncer36

right now just to get ammonia under control so here is what i got this morning, ph is 7.6 , ammonina is 0.25, nitrite is 0.25, and nitrate is 0 so i did another 50%water change trying get ammonia to 0 so i will check it all later today hopefully that will last of water changes how often should i do water changes? when i get it all straighted out that is

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

once the ammonia and nitrites are at 0 then a weekly water change (25 - 50%) with gravel vac should do.

8. bouncer36

Good morning well i check after my water change this morning my ammonia is 0 and nitrate is 0 and nitrite is 0 ph is ph 7.6 i am going to check everything again later today just to make sure

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

with all reading 0 you're still cycling. You should get some sort of nitrate reading. Did you shake the nitrate 2 bottle REALLY REALLY well?

I understand this tank has been setup for 2 years, but for some reason it's going through probably a mini-cycle.

Could be they added something to your water, could be filter was cleaned improperly (ie. simply rinsed in sink instead of removed tank water), etc.

IF you like products that help look for something like Seachem Stability or Tetra SafeStart.

• Like Like x 1
  10. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

it's best to check water parameters before you do a water change. seeing that you did a water change this morning, i'd wait until tomorrow morning (about 24 hrs) to retest to get the best results.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bouncer36

Ok so it been 24 hrs since i done my water change and my ph is 7.6 and ammonia is 0.25, nitrate is 5.0, nitrite is 0.25
    My question is do i do another water change i can do one today but if it not right in the morning i will have to wait until Tuesday to do another water change

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

For a 2year old tank you shouldn't be encountering this. You're going through a cycle (like when you first start up a tank).

How are you maintenancing your filters/media? What type of media are you using?
    What chemicals/additives are you using?
    Test your water source and post the results.
    Do you have anybody that would have "dirty" filter media or possibly some substrate that you could borrow to help you speed up the cycling?

I know others will chime in, but providing the above information will help them give you advice that WILL help.
    This definately explains why you have lost fish/plecos in the past.

You just need to:
    1) get this tank properly/fully cycled (articles on how to do this were linked previously)

2) do routine partials using a siphon. Always drain water from the BOTTOM of your tank. Also be sure IF you have substrate to be sure to "vac." it. This will prevent harmful anaerobic pockets/dead spots/waste buildup.

*Be sure to add your dechlorinator BEFORE adding water back to the main tank. Depending on which product you use it MAY be safe to dose for the entire tank volume just to be on the safe side. (I do this for my 90g using Seachem Prime...even if I remove 50% I dose for the full volume size).

How often should I do water changes?
    some will suggest to do them when your test results show the need, some will say do it on a weekly/monthly basis once your cycled so you won't forget, blah blah blah.

3) do filter maint. monthly or as suggested by your filter mfr. (not a good idea to do at the same time your planning on doing a partial).
    Directions-->get yourself a 5 gallon bucket and label it "fish" and only use it for things fish related. drain about a bucket of "dirty" water into your bucket and "swish"/"clean" any filter media in it. Then promptly return your media back to your filter.
    I know to some this doesn't make sense...but to fishkeepers this maintains your beneficial bacteria which helps eat the "baddies".

-->*Please note that there are a select few types of media that will read that it is okay to rinse it under running water..if it says this then it's perfectly fine to do so; just be sure to add a bit of dechlorinator to your tank if you choose to do so.

13. bouncer36

I use mainland bio-wheel penguin power filter cartridges i have never just rinse those off always just change them maybe that was the problem. i use the prime. Check the water this morning and ph is 7.2, ammonia is 0.25, nitrate is 5.0, nitrite is 0 now if i can just get the ammonia down i will be happy i guess i will be doing another water change but won't be able to do it until tomorrow will that be ok?

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

any reading of ammonia is lethal. if you can't do a water change dose it with Prime for the tanks volume to render it harmless for the time being.

15. bouncer36

ok just done my water change for today i hope tomorrow when i check it keep your fingers cross that it saids my ammonia is 0 my nitrite was 0 i just need to get my ammonia to 0

16. bouncer36

Well check my fish tank this morning and now the ph is 6.8,and ammonia is 0.25, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 5.0 ok so does that meen i need to do another water change to get the ammonia down and do i get the ph to 7.0

17. bouncer36

Well done another water change yesterday trying to get the ammonia down check the water this morning and the ph is 7.0, the ammonia is 0.25, nitrate is 5.0, nitrite is 0 what else can i do to get the ammonia to 0

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

test your tapwater, if you have any media in another system squeeze it into this one (ie. sponge filter).

19. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Agree with Dawn, have you tested your tap for ammonia?

20. bouncer36

Yes i tested it my tap water ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0