1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

angelfish eggs (Care Advice Wanted)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by stevenrox, Dec 27, 2008.

1. stevenrox

stevenrox Thread Starter New Member

my koi angel and all black angel turns out to be a breeding pair i saw them lay their eggs on a magfloat and my other angels rushed them and ate most of the eggs so i quckly removed the other angels and let them finish laying and i moved the eggs out and the air stone seems to be knocking the eggs off(is this natural)so i turned down the air and the bubles do seem like its hitting all the eggs(is it fine?) well with the ones that fell off i put it in to one of the DIY brine shrimp things(will it work?) thanks fast replys greatly appreciated

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: angelfish eggs

It should. make sure you are using an antifungal I prefer to use peroxide but other use methyl blue. good luck:)

3. stevenrox

i changed it around a little i turned the air stone on full and put it 2 " away and im using methyl blue and will the ones that fall off die for sure?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have never been successful with my angels eggs. So I would hate to even begin giving you advice there.

5. stevenrox

i need lemon discus to help me but then again his angels raised the eggs

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I transferred mine out to a 10 gal when I had angels...I put the eggs in one of those mesh hanging breeder nets from walmart and did the blue, I also placed an airstone just below the breeder net and put it on extremely fine. Eggs hatched and became wigglers...but then lost most of them after wiggler stage. Mind you this was quite some time ago and I don't exactly remember the specifics of the nursery setup (parameters, water temperature). I do however remember keeping it a bit higher than the parents water temp (I think by 2 degrees per recommendations of my lfs store at the time) & feeding VERY finely crushed tropical flake food (again per my lfs store at the time).
    ~Good Luck with yours! You'll have to keep us posted :)

7. stevenrox

i will i got tons of pics to upload lol

8. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Sorry, I have been away for a while.... Do you have any other fish in the tank with the Angels? If you do, then you have some harder work to do, if not, leave them alone and the parents should tend the eggs.

9. stevenrox

yea maybe but my other pair keeps eating their eggs

10. LemonDiscus

They will! Here are your options:
    1 - Remove the pair that is laying eggs into a separate tank with no other fish. This is your best option but there still is a chance that the parents will eat there own eggs. That all depends on the personality of the individual fish.
    2 - Remove the eggs after they have been laid. You have to keep an eye on what is going on. Angelfish will keep spawning every 3-5 days if they do not have to raise their babies. Moving the babies can be tricky depending on what the parents lay them on. If they lay on a plant/rock like mine like to do, the best thing is to take off the leaf/rock they laid on and put it into a bucket while NEVER taking the eggs out of the water in other words put the bucket/cup into the tank and move the leaf/rock and place it into a smaller tank such as a 10 gallon WITH NO SUBSTRATE. Note: you WILL loose more babies this way as good parents keep the eggs free of fungus. Methaline Blue is a great way to treat your smaller tank you keep the eggs in but you still will loose many.

If any eggs fall off because there is no substrate they should be fine, dont worry about it.

Feeding and Care of Angelfish Fry
    Day 1 - Eggs are laid / move eggs to new tank if you want to raise
    Day 2 - Infertile eggs will turn white, fertile ones will look reddish/opaque - change 5-10% water
    Day 3 - More eggs will turn white and some will get fluffy (fungus) - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 4 - Eggs "hatch" and will wiggle thus the stage called "Wigglers" - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 5 - Still in "Wiggler" stage - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 6 - Some wigglers will try free swimming but even those that do will be no good at it. - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 7 - Most wigglers will be free swimming and some will be better than others - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 8 - Most wigglers will be moving all around the tank. This day you can start feeding if you wish. You dont have to I usually wait until they are moving around well before I feed. When you do decide to start feeding here is the food they will eat that worked for me at this age: Hikari Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp. They say you get better results if you hatch your own Brine Shrimp but I dont have the time to do that myself. Feed 2 times a day.

I personally do not use the methaline blue but my parents raise the young which makes my life that much easier. The key is not to do too much to them.

Here is some added things I do if you get them to live this long:
    Around 2 weeks - I mix feeding Baby Brine Shrimp for a feeding and "Hikari First Bites" for another.
    Around 3 weeks - I remove the baby brine shrimp from almost all feedings only giving it a time or 2 a week
    Around 5 weeks - No more frozen baby brine. Full diet of Hikari First Bites

Eventually I ween off of the first bite into a crushed/powdered tropical flake diet. My dry food is a crushed/powdered mixture of Tropical Flakes and Cichlid Granuals.

Most pet stores will buy the babies once they are between the size of a dime and a nickel. Some want them larger too where they are the size of a quarter of a half dollar. That you have to ask.

11. stevenrox

alright thanks

12. stevenrox

my frys are free swiming now theres 135 of them ( i counted) not bad for my fist time =] their all eating hakaris first bites

13. LemonDiscus

That is good. Prepare for a HUGE loss. In the end the 135 free swimmers will be about 25-50 juveniles depending on how well you care for them! Not trying to be mean but that is about how I seem to have it work. If you do better, let me know what you did!

14. stevenrox

lol

15. stevenrox

hey lemon first spawn they all died from amonia and my second spawn i used a new air stone and when they became wigglers they fell to the bottom. this is stress full lol

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

My advice is to not dwell on the fact that any survive etc, just be happy your fish are spawning and healthy and if some do survive well thats just a bonus!

17. stevenrox

yea but i am determind!!!!

18. LemonDiscus

I agree with Nelson! You will loose a lot! Some are your fault and some are not. It takes you just as long to figure out how to care for them and what to do as it does the fish to get it right.

Again, dont over-do it. It does not take that much work. The more you do the more of a chance you have of making a mistake. Let the fish do the work, just keep the water taken care of.