1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Angelfish Fry Update

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by LemonDiscus, Oct 6, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

I think I can do that. It is of course going to be a DIY division buy hey... that is what I am into. Still thinking though how to do it cheap... and I am also short a heater. I have 1 spare 50W heater but I dont think that will work too well. All of my heaters are in my 125!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Are you going to use Plexiglas with slits in it or aren't you sure yet ?

3. LemonDiscus

Still not sure. I was thinking the acrylic mesh (the stuff that people use for art stuff and cut to the shape they like and thread yarn into it to make it look nice) and then attach it with aquarium silicone to the walls. I think this would be cheaper and I really dont want the other fish in the tank to see each other. I want them to think they are alone so not to attack each other. Still planning though.

The angels will get moved after this spawn is over.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've never seen that stuff before.

5. LemonDiscus

Yes you have.... You just are not thinking of it. You had to have messed with the stuff in school at some point. It is plastic and has a bunch of little squares in it. About the size of a piece of yarn. It comes in all sorts of colors white, red, green etc.... you can cut it with a pair of scissors. I remember making in school a valentines heart with it and using yarn to make the boarders. I forget what the junk is called but I am sure that if I can find a large enough sheet that will work.

6. LemonDiscus

It is called "Plastic Canvas"

ai18.ebayimg.com_05_i_001_0b_9e_b95d_1.JPG

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. I have seen that before.

8. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

bah i told ya lemon pantyhoses cheap works good

9. LemonDiscus

I know. I considered it. If it were to be used for fry I would do that. This stuff is cheap too. Actually this 55 will hold the parents not the fry. I have a few other tanks that will be used for fry. Gotta start setting all this crap up :(

Quite a task. I have all my tanks listed below.... .of all those tanks there is my 125, a 10 and a 55 that are set up now. The 1 55 tank I am starting with that is set up still needs to be cleaned out as it has gravel in the bottom and had my Oscar in it. Too much work...... maybe tomorrow I will clean all of my tanks that are not up and that 1 55 and do some work setting up a few.

I need to motivate ;)

10. LemonDiscus

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:06 pm
    Life is amazing
    I know this is more of a "Cichlid" topic, but more in general I have been watching my Angelfish care for their young and I can not help but think how well a lower life-form such as a fish can do such a great job as a parent and yet several higher life-forms have such a hard time caring for young.

I have fry that are now 9 days old and for the first time I left the parents with the young.

Mom and Dad have done SO MUCH to care for the babies and have NEVER eaten them nor have eaten much themselves! They seem to eat food and regurgitate it back for the young (I have seen this) they also have taken what is left of the frozen baby brine block and put it in their mouths, swished it thawed and spit it out back in the cloud of young.

For the babies that are away during feedings, well they put them in their mouths and spit them out in the cloud of food!!

It amazes me beyond my own comprehension! And even more amazing is BOTH parents are nurturing to the young! I keep birds and have kept other animals as well and this is not a regular thing! You KNOW working with animals you are working with something special that does this!

Here are a few pictures of Dad trying to keep up with the babies

Angelfish Tank with Angelfish Fry

11. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:01 pm
    nice i wish my angels on it but its been a long time. they spawned twice but ate both batch and the dad started to become aggresive twards the mom so i seperated them with a divider for a week and know after like a month their finally cleaning the marble again =] i think i might raise these myself

12. LemonDiscus

Stellaluna actually has the fish now! :)