1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Angelfish gluttany

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by FishVixen, Mar 23, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

This morning I found my littlest gold angel on the bottom of the tank dead. [icon_e_sad.gif] She had a cardinal tetra stuck in her mouth. I feed them 1 or 2 times daily but angels are always looking for food. My scoal of 20 cardinals is down to 8. I guess I will not be putting cardinals in this tank anymore.

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

They are the same as any other fish if they think they can fit it in their mouth they will try, sorry for the lose.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep. Angels seem to be predatory fish always on the hunt for something to eat.

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

My angels are in with neons and cardinals and I still have the live ones all accounted for via corpses of 1-2 a month deadies.

It sucks but our musky at work died the same exact way.......cept he tried to swallow an adult rainbow trout and he much like your angel thought he was ALOT bigger then he really was.

its not just angels, all fish look for food all the time from guppies to sharks. If it fits, its food. If I were to find that in the morning, cruel as it may sound id just scoop it out and toss it and tell the dead angel, better luck next time. My angels only eat when I feed them, they graze the plants and floor for leavins and algae but they truly leave the neons and cardinals completely alone. What do you feed them to being with? You might need to up their protein intake, this will stop them from eating the little ones.

5. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

They get a variety, From live brine, frozen bloodworm, 3 differnt flake foods ( 2 just for cichlids), peas, and they attack the algae wafers. I think it was just one of those incidents that no matter what I feed them it would have happened. He was the smallest but very aggressive when it came to food and always got his share. Actually he was the bully of the tank and wouuld nip fins of the other angels. The other 3 are very peaceful. He was the only gold in that tank. The rest are DD.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

awe, sorry to hear about the lil guy! That bites.
    I agree with it's just a fish thing...some of them will try to fit ANYTHING in there mouths!

7. captainkurk

captainkurk New Member

my angels seem to be more interested in fighting for the attentions of the dominant male than food. they are very hungry most of the time, especially around breeding time. i feel your pain on losing an angel. i lost 5 in a year. 3 babies, 2 adults. 3 from what appeared to be stroke, 1 from attacks by the dominant angel, and 1 got chased into a decoration and got stuck. didn't find her 'til the next day. :(