1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

angelfish not in good shape

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

am loosing a large black angel..hanging out at the top of my tank..h2o is fine, everyone else is fine, he was a drop off two days ago..this sux! I really think the humaine thing to do is pop him in the freezer, I moved him to a quiet tank..he is now on his side..he was doing SO well yesterday..his old tank mate is doing really well..I KNOW it is not my water..any ideas??

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Did he eat any since you had him ? What about bloat ?

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Do you know the exact water parameters of your tank and the tank they came from?

4. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

It may be an illness was building in him before you got him, and the stress of the move on top of that was enough to do him in. It's not your fault.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

He did eat, the tank he came from was unknown..and he died at about 3 am this morning..man I feel like crap...I am sure it was the stress of being moved fron a 5 gal tank to a 40 , and from being alone to being with tank mates, I tried to isolate him in a sick tank..but no help to him there..hate when I loose anything..he was a real beauty..thanks for the replies, my vet even got a really late call at home..I hate to see my next bill! :cry:

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Aw, sorry to hear that.

7. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Your vet takes fish calls? wow! I think mine would laugh at me .. he's too busy taking care of horses and cows and such.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Very rarely do I hear of a vet that deals with fish and such.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Vet lives across the street and is a huge fish lover too...so NO he really does not do this for a living, I am taking care of a hydrocephalic kitten for him..so it's kind of a trade off, unless something gets expensive!! :confused:
    Money is money, if they are caring for reptiles, birds horses cows OR fish...just rare to find a vet that knows much about them..

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay.

11. Penycat

Penycat New Member

I'm sorry to hear about your angel. I raise them and have a really hard time when one of my favorites gets sick. At least you did try and he/she was in a good home

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks..it always is such a helpless feeling when a fish starts having troubles..my vet a a great resource, as he has fish too, and loves them! But sometimes it seems there is nothing you can do to fix a problem..
    I do have a ? for you though..recently me angels eggs have all become fungused (or infertile..turning white)..what have you done to avoid this?
    thanks

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Pimafix can be added to the tank. It's a natural anti fungal product. I always keep Pimafix and Melafix on hand.

14. Penycat

Penycat New Member

actually to tell you the truth, I don't do anything. When I set up my hatching tanks, it's either a 5g or a 10g with a sponge filter and a bunch of java moss that I've tied to a wine cork to float it. (course a heater too) then bare bottomed of course. once the eggs hatch and the wigglers only like a day old, I'll take a med dropper and suction them up and 'spit' them out into the java moss. This way they aren't staying on the eggs which by this time have fungused and i'm not having to use any chem in the water (I've got well water, so I don't use chems much at all, not that I'm against them, just easier for me) Then once all the wigglers are in the moss, I take out whatever the eggs are on, rinse it clean and put back in with the pair. I leave the java moss in there then until they are to be moved into a grow out tank, so that they can pick off the plant in between feedings.

Hope that helps:)

15. ted3325

ted3325 New Member

hi, im new but anytime i get a new fish i put him in a quaratine tank for at least a week. helps protect my main tanks fish just in case new ones have anything unseen ted

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, quarantining fish is a good idea. I personally don't do it because I normally get my fish from reputable people.

17. Penycat

Penycat New Member

Same here, but if it's a lfs fish, then I try to do the same. Good job!:) Just shows you care well for your fish:)

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hydrocephalic kitten mentioned above was pts today..really sad.....we all cried, and I am not one who drops tears to easy..this little guy was a fighter.. :cry:

19. Penycat

Penycat New Member

Oh no! I'm so sorry:( We had to do that with a dog we had that got cancer and I know how hard that is. online hug to you my friend!:(

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm really sorry. I know how if feels too. I had to put to sleep a 6week old chihuahua from one of my litters once. She was so tiny that her soft spot was really big and while she was playing something happened and injured her brain and caused her to have secures that nothing would control. :cry: