1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Angelfish (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: New tank ends up to be death or not?
    Today im getting a 35 gallon fish tank with evrything for free.In this deal i have to take 2 angelfish.This is a problem because every angelfish i had died within 10 hours.Does anybody know a lot on angelfish that can help these 2 lifes?

2. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

sry, i can't help you with this one......

3. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

Well the guy probably had Angels so they are used to the water already.
    Angels are sensitive to changes to water quality, and need to be acclimated longer than most fish.

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

you say a 35 gallon? tis easy go to lowes and buy you 3 5 gallon buckets
    take the water from the tank when he takes it down and put it in the 3 buckets <15 gallons give or take>
    when you set it up with your water make it slightly warmer then what the tank was running at <ie if the normal on the tank is 78 make your 15+ gallons at home 80 degrees> add the old water first then yours and double up on your declor. if capfull is 10 gallon make yours 2 caps for 10 gallons.
    keep his filter media in one of the buckets to transport.
    dont feed for the first day then lightly for the next two then on day 5 do a 10 gallon water change then on day 10 , 20 gallon.
    Angels aint that hard just kind of funny on water when moved.
    if i can help ya in any way just shoot me a thread or pm

5. caronsd

caronsd New Member

I placed my current angelfish in an established community tank after acclimating for a few hours and it did great. It was injured when I got it and not swimming much in the owners tank, now its cruising every where. If they change is slow, and the tank is cycled you should be okay, just dont rush the transfer.

6. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Should i take this as i sign?

Today i stopped at a pet store on my way home. well i was looking in the tanks and i walked over to this one tank, it had some angels in it. well i was sitting there looking when all the sudden outta no where this little angel fish comes flying up right infront of my face looking at me. I mean it was no where in my sight and all the sudden there was this little fish is staring me down. every time i would move to look at the other fish it was right there. So now since that I am thinking about trying to keep angel fish agian. Should i take it as a sign to maybe try to keep them agian?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Should i take this as i sign?

Well, you said you could never keep them alive before so I'm not sure if you should risk it. LoL

8. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Yeah i know.. but this little fishy following me. and it made me wanna try agian. It was just weird thought. i have never seen a fish be on someone like that. :) I am going to read some more on them before i decide.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Youve never kept cichlids before, other than angels, either lol. Most of the larger species of fish have great personalities, for example, whenever I walk to any tank in my room all the fish come swimming out, some will even follow my finger around the tank. I have heard of people hand feeding their oscars, jags, etc.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've seen fish do that several times. Just something else to think about... Think about how you'd feel if you did get him and you weren't able to keep him alive. If you were going to try again I'd set up the tank and get some plants in there and let it run for a week before adding them. Test your water and make sure the parameters are good for Angels.

11. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I have seen some fish do that just never angels. I probable wont. to chicken. just made me think.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I love my angels! If I go within 5 feet of the tank they are all right at the front looking at me. What kind of problems have you had in the past with them?

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't want to scare you. I just don't want you to try them again then be disappointed if something goes wrong this time too.

14. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Well it has been several years (i was 16) since i killed my little angels. But I dont know what killed them. they would do fine for a few days then they would die. I only tried with 2 pairs. Maybe they were sick.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It is possible. If it were me I would have the tank up and running for a couple of weeks, doing periodic water tests to make sure that the tank has stabled out before buying one. Then give it a shot, especially since it has been a long time since the others died. I would also look for a LFS with a local breeder, that is how I purchased mine and they appear to be much healthier than the ones I have seen in the chain stores.

16. Leslie

Leslie New Member

this one was at a little shop. I stopped in to see if they did store credit on fish. i was hoping that they would so i could get some plants and stuff. but they didnt. i think my ph will be to hisgh and my water wont be soft enought.. I just dont want to be a death trap for them.

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The only way to know is to test everything.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

That is why I said to set it up for a few weeks testing periodically to see how you water levels out. Then make a decision.

19. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Would angelfish be happier in a 30 gal long or a 29 gal tall. I am still very worried that they might die

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I'll leave that to someone more experienced.. I have always kept mine in a 55 gallon tank and they are happy.