1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Angelfish (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Should i take this as i sign?

A pair will be fine in either.

2. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Since i am reading about them i may not. I saw some barbs i lied. they aere called blue top barbs.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Angel Fish (Information, Questions, Suggestions)

Hello,
    I have a chance to purchase a breeding pair of Koi Angels. The current owner says they have only spawned twice. She want $40. Is this a fair price, and if not how much would you offer? I do not have much experience with the price of angels or the coloration. To me these angels are really not that colorful. Mostly white with some black around the gills and orange on the top of them.

Please help me...

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Value of Koi Angel Fish/ full grown, breeding pair

Koi Angel's are by far my favorite. I'll leave the value up to the more experienced Angel owners. In my opinion $40.00 doesn't seem to bad, maybe a bit high but not much.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Price of fish is all relative to your area imo, check around to compare prices on single fish of the same size and then add a few more bucks for them being a proven breeding pair.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for your help. I think I may offer her $30 and see if she will go for it. There are chain stores in the area that have assortments of small angel fish for about 4.50 each (give or take). I have never seen them full grown in my area, not even at the store that only sells fish and fish supplies. In fact I have never seen angels there at all.

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

A 29 is better as it is taller to accommodate their fins at adult size. Either would work though, depends on the strain.....

Stay away from veiltails unless you think you can handle them, they do have more problems (a lot of fin!)

8. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

Koi angels price depends on the amount of orange they have the more orange <not gold or yellow> they show the more the fish is worth

Is it a proven breeding pair or just a pair of Angels that end up with eggs in the tank?

I have seen a pair proven that went for 120 bucks they showed alot of pearl and orange tho and had given 15 spawns that were successful.

not seeing the fish nor knowing the person and history of the fish i would offer 25 bucks for them just knowing that there is atleast a female in the group, but hey i raise them and sell to offset the price of equipment for the rest of my fish.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Well the lady told me the angels live in a community tank and the couple times they did lay eggs they were scooped up by other fish. I am almost leaning towards just getting my tank set up for the angels and getting six babies and letting them pair off from there...

I am confused.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Laying eggs and a successful spawn are two different things. They could both be females just laying unfertilized eggs.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah I think I may pass on these angels.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'd try to find some smaller ones at a fish store, buy a few and see which ones pair off. Last time I saw Koi Angel's they were less than $5.00 each.

13. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

depending on the tank size i would go for 8 angels if your pocket can do it that is pretty much a 100 at getting a pair

14. LemonDiscus

Finally!!!

[dancing] I went upstairs to give another feeding today for my Angels that I pulled out of the community. As I have said before, they were quite stressed going to a bare-bottom and showed no signs of another spawn. Actually, I was more fearful for their lives as they almost stopped eating. Well I added the sand into my tanks a few days ago and went upstairs just now to feed the Angels again.

Low-and-behold on the fake sword are about 300 eggs and both with full color and breeding tubes down!!!!! I am SO glad they went back to that again! Now if I can only get the fry to last more than 2 weeks past free swimming :confused:

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Finally!!!

Today's your lucky day. LoL

16. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Is about 300 the average egg count

17. LemonDiscus

Depends, they put out about 600 in the community tank, this would only make the 3rd spawn for this pair so..... I really am not sure.

1st spawn (artificiality raised eggs):
    200 eggs
    25 wigglers
    7 free-swimmers
    0 left after 2 weeks

2nd spawn (let the parents raise to wigglers then took the eggs):
    600 eggs
    350 wigglers
    150 free-swimmers
    0 left after 2.5 weeks

3rd spawn (may not be done yet either)
    300 eggs (not sure yet if it is over)

That is kind of the history of the pair. The male did spawn with the other female that is still in the community, but she ate all of her eggs after day 2 so I wont let the 2 pair up again (part of the reason I pulled this pair from the community)

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Keeping my fingers crossed for you~

19. luvfish

luvfish New Member

Good luck to you Lemon ;) that's awesome on how they have spawned again.
    I think it's quite common for both the fish and the human to take a few times to get it right! ;) I know that I lost a few spawns when I first started raising angels too.
    Issues that I had and learned about:
    When removing fry from the main tank always keep them underwater. Do not expose them to air. When the fry are small they must be kept in a small tank or they will expend all their energy trying to feed. This tank must also have an established sponge filter on it to provide not only bacteria but it also provides micro-organizms for the fry to graze on in-between feedings. Feeding at least 3 times a day but more is preferable. And doing enough daily water changes to keep the water pristine.

good luck!

20. LemonDiscus

Well, that clutch of eggs went down the drain (literally) as something went wrong and they all got fungus on them. Well, at least they started again.... it may have been I missed turning the lights out 2 nights ago as I fell asleep downstairs on the couch as well as my wife (bad night)