1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Any advice on setting up a Saltwater tank?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

We just bought a 55gal acrylic tank with complete setup for saltwater. there are holes drilled into the stand, with connecting pipes that go up into the tank, and should be connected to something below. Came with everything, looks like possibly two canister filters.
    Any advice would be great as we have never set up a saltwater tank, and I would like to know more about it.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The holes are likely for a sump. If you search the forum (search link is at the top of the forum) you will find information on sumps.

I suggest looking through the saltwater section at various threads to see what you can learn from those. Also look under the Knowledge Base section and you'll see a thread about Saltwater/Reef Water Parameters.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

[cussing] I just wrote EVERYTHING and it made me log back in to post, and I lost it all.. I'm going to try this again. sigh.

I went through all of the things that the tank came with, it's a 55gal thick acrylic tank, made by acrylic seaclear aquariums system II.
    Came with the stand, and matching hood. Also includes:

A heater that says "Ebo-Jager" automatic aquarium heater, 120v ~ 250watt

TWO nu-clear brand filters, from the 500 series. Yet I cannot locate a model number on it..
    ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01098.jpg

A "Gamma UV" aquarium ultraviolet sterilizer.
    ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01100.jpg

A "Little Giant" brand aquarium pump.
    ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01099.jpg

Two hood light fixtures by "california aquarium supply co." fluorescent, max. 20 watt.

&lots of connectors/tubes/pieces..

I'm going to attach some pictures and see if anyone can help me with this.
    ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01087.jpg
    This is the tank set up on the stand, you can see the tube running up into the tank from the bottom, and another piece that looks like something connects to it through the bottom.

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01091.jpg
    This is more of a close-up, and here are the individual close-ups;

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01089.jpg
    ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01090.jpg

Here is a picture from underneath the stand where the aquarium sits on top:
    ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01092.jpg

Here is a top view through the tank:
    ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01097.jpg

The tank also has a blue divider that kind of makes it bow, and behind it there is another tube that comes up into the tank, and something is to be connected to the bottom. Here's a picture from the back:
    ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d172_andagirlfromclasstotouch_aquarium_IMG01093.jpg

I hope this all makes sense to someone, I'm really new to saltwater tanks. All in all we got this whole set up for $150 which sounds like a great deal.
    I was also wondering the best way to clean out the tank since it's so large.. there's some sand in the corners and some salt residue, maybe a little dusty from sitting around. :D

:confused: Sorry for all the questions and pictures! I'm just a bit confused and anything would be very helpful! [help]

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

well lets start off....150$ is a STEAL! lol you can clean it with vinegar and scrub it a little use hose to blast out the sand if you want and the holes are for sump but looks like he has a canister filter and all the tubing but no pics of sump so he probally could have just hooked it up to the canister filters wait nvm just looked at the last pic and is that a "back pack sump" (correct name?) well thats just a simpler version in stead of going under the stand it filters right there but it means less tank space theirs a lot of threads on how to get it to work dawn should be posting tons of links in no time GL keep us updated and ask if you have any questions ;)

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Can't help with the sump...never ran one. (from what I've been told though you can stick just about all your equipment in there if you have a big enough one...ie. heaters, uv, etc).

Looks like they gave you all the equipment you need to get it up and running (good thing).

Your checklist would be Stand, Tank, Heater, Thermometer with digital probe being best, Filtration system, Sump since your tank is drilled (can't help with the tubing/attachments on it...just know it runs somehow from the drilled portion down to the sump), Uv sterilizer, Protein Skimmer, Power heads for circulation & or wavemaker, light fixture (high wattage if doing corals...acitinic light in the mix beneficial), timers (for items such as lighting), Grounded circuit protected power strip/power strips, substrate such as live sand (layered) & live rock, Hydrometer to measure salinity, Special Salt to pre-mix with water, Ro/di System being EXTREMELY helpful to "make" your water safe, Liquid saltwater test kit (api has one If I remember right), Turkey Baster (good for if you get cyanobacteria), food specific for the inhabitants with live or frozen being optimal (warning:some flakes will cause phosphate problems), and with the prices of saltwater specimens I'd definately set up something like a 10g quarantine and let that tank cycle properly & go VERY slowly and not rush the process or you'll be very sorry very fast!

Saltwater can be great and gorgeous, but theirs alot more maintenance that goes into them and its defin. more time consuming imo (had one a while back).

As for how to clean the equipment and what nots that came with it this link should prove most helpful for ya!

Cleaning Equipment - Saltwater Aquariums

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Hey, just wanted to add my $0.02 in.

My first (and only) saltwater tank was a 75 gallon non-drilled tank that had an overflow with a sump+refugium in the stand. I spent well over what you paid for yours getting it all separate.

I think you need a protein skimmer though, I didn't see that in the list. But, I am not familiar with canister filters so you may/may not need one.

Saltwater tanks are 10 times more expensive to setup and keep than freshwater. I never made my own saltwater for water changes because I didn't have the room or equipment to keep it premixed so EVERY friday I had to go buy 10 gallons of mixed saltwater, which gets annoying after a while. The power compact lighting I had made the room extremely hot and the saltwater has a distinct smell to it.

A $12.00 red-banded coral shrimp killed my $69.00 flame angel, so watch what invertebrates you add haha.

It's also good you have a UV sterilizer! My tank had a bad algae bloom and the entire tank looked like it was filled with green koolaid. Luckily, a friend let me borrow a UV sterilizer and it cleared it up.

I personally didn't have a very good experience with saltwater but I also didn't have this forum back then. So read everything these guys have to say and yours will be great!

Good luck with the tank and keep us updated with more pics! :)

7. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

the canisters filter you can hook up to uv sterilizer and back in the sump for better filteration

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

1)Clean the tank and equipment...check the link I gave you.
    2)run yourself a tub of water and test all the equipment BEFORE running it onto/behind/beneath your tank where a nightmare could occur.
    -->Run the canister into the tub and make sure theirs no leaks, rumbly roars that shouldn't be, etc...no media will be needed for a test run.
    -->Toss the heater in IF it's submersible and make sure it gets warm (can stick a probe in there if you want to be super technical).
    -->Take the tank outside or somewhere that if it leaks you won't damage anything...fill it with water and do a "wet" run to make sure it holds water over night. I'm pretty sure you won't want to chance a flood....if it holds your golden, but still check it over for cracks and seamwork.
    -->Check you uv installation instructions or check online for a manufacture site that should provide instructions on how to properly hook it up. Some require additional add on pieces that aren't included...and most will need plumbers tape to create a water tight seal! The bulbs on them typically last a year, so if you know the bulb is ancient I'd replace it and start with a fresh one...same goes with your light fixtures bulbs (they say you should be able to get 6 months from power compacts before the light degrades...some will say differently of course).

-->>>>>A NOTE FOR THE Uv should be connected to your water flow outlet hose to the Uv sterilizers INLET Barb...sidenote...never turn off the canister filter once the UV is hooked up without turning off the UV sterilizer FIRST!!!

Once you've cleaned and done your dry runs/ wet runs (man that doesn't sound good..haha) Then you can start putting things in place. Properly cleaned and you have the choice of using it for salt or freshwater (choose wisely grasshopper).

Put the stand somewhere that you won't have draft issues or excess lighting issues that will defin. cause problematic algae. Make sure to leave enough space to access/place all your equipment...and now you will be working by it often doing partials and testings...so make it convenient (ie. close/within reach to sink or door if your doing the manual bucket method). You'll want room for storing chemicals, test kits, nets, salt, blah blah blah...so plan that out too! I know I hate running up and down the cellar steps everytime I need something!!!

Figure out how many plugs you will have and how many timers you will be utilizing...Then purchase a heavy duty power strip that will easily reach your equipment (remember more times than not the timers hog the strip so you may need 2 or some heavy duty extension plugs with a possible adapter.)

I also recommend getting yourself some of those velcro plug straps so you can roll them up rather than having miles of plugs everywhere...and you may want to think of picking up some of them sealed luggage tags that you can mark and zip to the plug. You'd be amazed how quickly you'll forget which plug goes to what (and when doing partials some things may need to be unplugges due to the water level drop).

Place the tank on the stand, put the equipment where it will be (ie, back of tank, sump, etc)...mount your power strip/strips in place...fill with substrate (plate method works nice to keep disturbance down...clarity will speed the clearing process)...fill with water at a temperature just a degree or so below what you intend on keeping the tank at...allow the tank to settle for 24-48hours with just the heater running to keep it at optimum temperature. Once it has properly settled you can turn on your filtration (why wait, becuse you don't want that sediment jamming your equipment up). Just after you turn the caniser on You'll want to follow suit by turning on the uv sterilizer and get that up and running.

this will give you a starting point!

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I think Dawn has the fastest typing fingers on the east coast. Imo haha

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

*Bows* Thank You! (I think?) Lol!

11. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i want a prize for slowest typer in norcal!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol @ Steven...(hands him a prized Red Gummy Bear Candy).

13. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i want a green one though!

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Picky Picky...The greens are all gone (sarris Bucket of them). Your stuck with red until I get back out. Lol!

15. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

can i get a orange im allergic to red :confused: :confused: :confused:

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

It's in your mind...but here ((Chucks a few orange ones in Steven's Direction)).

17. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

awesome ;)

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks to everyone for all the advice &help! We're going to take this slowly and make sure we do it right. Still a little unsure of what hooks up to what and where. For now we're just cleaning everything thoroughly.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds good! Slow is defin the way to go with the saltwater....to expensive to make rush mistakes--You'll understand my point once your up and running for a while.

Good Luck with it all!
    ~Dawn