1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

anyone else not know much about breeds/types of fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

I feel like i am the only person on here who doesnt know much about breeds of fish. so every time someone says something about a breed I go and try to look it up so i can see a picture. am i the only one?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Sometimes I have to look one up.

3. Leslie

i feel like the only one. i dont even know what half the fish are until i go and look them up then i go i never see thoese. then i want some.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's how everyone starts out though. You get interested in fish, you join a forum and learn a lot and see a lot of new interesting fish then you want some for yourself.

5. Leslie

i never see fish like that. i only see plain fish.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A lot of fish that you'll typically see on here aren't always available at places like PetSmart or PetCo.

7. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

everyone always learns something new everyday leslie......don't feel left out....i still have to look up fish types myself...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have been around fish my entire life, I love them, but there are so many different breeds and different types of fish that it is virtually impossible to know them all. I too look up pictures of the different fish all the time. Especially since I have began my journey into cichlids. I have always been a "tropical" fish person, guppies, angels, swordtails, common fish that you see in pet stores, but now my horizons are expanding and my addiction growing... thank goodness for the internet and being able to see pictures of what everyone is talking about!

9. Leslie

well i wish that there was a better site. one with nothing but fish breeds. aol sucks when i am trying to find pictures.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think you'd be hard pressed to find every type of fish listed on one site.

11. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

To be honest I Yahoo a lot of fish that I hear about on here. Heck I did not know what an Endler was. I had to look it up and then I was like ahhhh Anthony's avatar!

I am a South America Cichlid fancier so that is what I know. I dont know much about Africans so I dont give advice. I just read. I will only jump in on the rare occasion someone is talking about a South American.

12. Leslie

i usally do look at the avatar. then i still look it up. where would you even find exotic fish at?

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I found my way here from craigslist. I was on a few other boards but they were from other places. I chose to stay here because of the number of users local to VA.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

We have quite a few VA users for some reason. Not that I'm complaining. LoL

15. Leslie

i belong to ther sites. but i cant never find exotic fish. i have to buy them online.

16. Leslie

i think i am the only person from tn. that sucks.

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you are. The forum is still growing though. The forum is still less than 6 months old so I'm sure that will change. I'll advertise in TN more just for you. :D

18. Leslie

now i feel special :)

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I look up new fish all the time, I have a book called the complete colored lexicon of cichlids. Its like three inches thick and about the size of a laptop. Its an amazing book that this lady recently mailed me for free bc she wanted someone to have it that would use it. We are all still learning about fish and new species of fish everyday. Dont feel like your the only one, your just going to hve the problem of wanting to buy them all, and thats how you end up with 6 tanks like me haha.

20. Leslie

i am going to go to the libary monday to pic up some saltwater books. and some fish breeds book too.