1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Anyone keep Salvini?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Sal, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Sal

Sal Thread Starter New Member

Hello
    I am thinking of a pair of Salvini cichlid for a 55 gallon tank and only those 2 fish.

Can it be done without the male constantly annoying the female or killing her?

The tank has plenty of hiding areas .

Thank you
    EMPTY TANK.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Doubt it very much. Most Cichlids are not pairing fish, the Salvini is not an exception to that. They will likely be fine at first, if they're young, but as soon as they reach breeding age you'll have a lot of problems if the male only has one female to keep his eye on.

3. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I would add a few more caves and hiding places but I had a pair in a 40 breeder with no problems. They are aggressive but fun to watch. Mine breed with no problems and raised the young. I think you can do it very nicely in a 55.

4. Sal

40 breeder is great. I was going to pick one up instead of a 55 but could not find a stand for one even place that sold 40 breeder did not have stands.

Later I found out Dr foster has them but by than had 55 .

Do you keep them by themselves or with dither fish?

Thanks

5. Sal

Seems some have pulled it off.

Thanks

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

by themselves

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

And I'm sure that female is constantly stressed from the male. I don't recommend making them pairing fish, as that's not their nature.

8. Sal

Thanks

9. Sal

The 55 is very narrow compared to the 40 breeder. I am going to read and see if 2 females can be kept with the 1 male .

I just assumed they mated for life as used to see them by a canal I would fish in what I thought were pairs but than again only saw them during summer.

After 2 week freak cold spell we had last yr of 40 degree nights for 2 weeks have not seen them again.