1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

API Tap Water Filter

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18565/si1380839/cl0/aquariumpharmaceuticalstapwaterfilter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ct ... aterfilter</a>

Has anyone had any experience with these or heard anything about them ? I was thinking about picking one up to use on my tanks.

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

DONT DONT DONT
    waste your money!

its junk I got one, it barely works right, it leaks, my tap has too much pressure even at trickle rates to power this thing, Its terrible at holding hoses(no barbs to speak of) and basically its a DI filter with two plastic "caps" on it with holes in them, maybe 3-4 threads total, not even enough to get a good bite to compress the O rings for seal.

If you REALLY want one, I can sell you mine, used once comes with two extra filters and line, plus METAL bypass valve not the junk plastic one thats always broken when you recieve it even as a replacement part.

In the whitedevils world.....I wouldnt wipe my own bum with it.

Save the money and get an RO unit, For the price of this DI plus all the other stuff you are going to need to make it work right you can get a small RO unit.

I hate wasting money and when I waste money on something I get really really mad, dont be like me, dont be really really mad with money wasted.

3. Anthony

I would like to try it. LoL I was thinking this would be a step below an RO unit, which I don't think I need at all.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I replied to you about this, but I'll do so here too!

I got these at petco a while back...$5 per unit on clearance and figured I'd give it a whirl.
    The replacement filter/cartridge stuff it takes is pricy and in my area impossible to come by (which means you'd have to buy another unit..talk about your ouch).

It works similar to a ro/di system..as in hours to get a bucket of your "purified" water. That's the hidden suprise the nice box doesn't tell you. If I recall they are endorsed by Jack Wattley (I for some reason recall his name on the box somewhere..could be wrong though)?

When I opened the box I was hoping you could simply hook it to the sink and run the hose directly into the tank (in my case it didn't work..the hose was too short & the tank was too far) and I didn't have the type of sink connection for it to hook up to.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

yep, the hose they give you is 6' total, 3' on each end. basically it does like advertised 10gph but in all actuality its about 2-3 gph.

Wish I woulda seen em at 5 bucks instead of 50.

Dawn be thankful it didnt hook up, if it did you would have made a special order for a metal adapter just for it to not work under 5psi.

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

its a step below the RO unit, about 20 steps or so. you can get bottled gallons of water cheaper then it costs to keep up with this unit.

7. Anthony

But buying bottles and bottles of DI water is a pain. LoL

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

take yourself to the wal-mart and get some distilled water, not RO but pretty damn close and gives you free containers, they also sell 5g water bottles for like 8 bucks I think.

I personally regret buying this unit. It truly pissed me off at the cheapness of the unit and the fact that its more of a trickle filter then anything.

OR go to the self serve car was and fill up jugs with the spot free option(its RO and nothing more)

9. Anthony

Oh if they had the 5 gallon bottles that would be pretty good. I'll have to check next time I'm there.

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

they do, in my wallyworld they are back by the lighting and painting crap.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

mine has them, usually alongside the fridge section or in with the 2liter bottle pop aisle.

12. WhiteGloveAquatics

im going there in a few to find a HUGE collander or some window screen so I can make a sifter for the new substrate.
    Ill look, take a pic of the tag so you can find it easier.

13. Anthony

Okay great.

14. WhiteGloveAquatics

I forgot to take my phone but

online they have two
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trails-5-gallon-fold-a-carrier-water-container/10098757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trails- ... r/10098757</a>

and

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Integrity-Distribution-LLC-5-Gallon-Fresh-Water-Tank/11468430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.walmart.com/ip/Integrity-Dis ... k/11468430</a>

but for 7.99 they have the ice mountain or hinkleys style 5g jugs with caps.

I am buying the later link, those ones make GREAT Co2 brewers.

15. James0816

James0816 New Member

I should bottle up some of my well water and ship to ya. ;o)

16. WhiteGloveAquatics

that would be uber expensive, figure 8 pounds of water per gallon plus the container plus the packaging, thats like 25 bucks to ship a gallon of water, unless you put em in zip loc baggies or in ballons and use flat rate shipping then it could be cheaper.......

I figured eastern states water was much more natural then the rest of the commercialized country.

17. James0816

James0816 New Member

nah....he's just down..(or up) the road from me. pack up the pick up and make a small road trip. :)

18. WhiteGloveAquatics

sweet. It'd be nice to have fish friends by me, I got one and we were buddies long before he got his first tank.

And some of the clubs members around here are ^$$hats.

19. Anthony

I have well water. Just trying to come up with a way to resolve my cloudy tank issue. It seems to be getting better though.

LoL yeah, there are actually a few of us that aren't very far from each other.

20. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Seems like alot in Richmond but I've only met one, and that was just to sell him a tank.