1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Apisto Breeding Tips

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Basha312, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Basha312

Basha312 Thread Starter New Member

Any Apisto keepers out there? I have done alot of research but I am still pretty nervous about my first run at it. I have a pair of Ap. Cacatuoides in a 10gallon planted tank with 3 caves (2 in driftwood & one pot). I believe that the female is will be ready soon by her yellow color. Anyone have any good pointers for someone trying to breed South American Cichlids for the first time?

Thanks a bunch!

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Wish I could help the extent of my knowledge in this area is limited to angels

3. Philsy

Philsy Member

Cacs are one of the easiest to breed and raise, which is reflected by there common availability. all you really need to do is keep up on WCs and feed lots of frozen and live foods , then nature will take it's course. make sure that when they do, you have plenty of BBS and crushed flake on hand the fry will need to eat 3-4 times a day when free swimming.

4. UncleNed

UncleNed New Member

for Cacatuoides, best to breed at pH 6.6 - 7.0 ...
    for Aggassizi and most of the other Apistos, best to breed at pH 5.0 - 6.2
    .... this will usually produce 50% male, 50% female babys

5. Basha312

Basha312 Thread Starter New Member

Yeah my pH is about 6.8 right now I'm trying to get it down a bit more (for some reason the R/O water I use has a pH of about 8.0). I have been feeding them mostly frozen bbs because I have been unable to get them to eat flakes or pellets however I have some eggs on the way so they will be eating live bbs before long!

6. Philsy

Philsy Member

I wouldn't drop the ph the range of cacatuoides in the wild are the eastern border of Peru and western borders of neighbouring countries where the ph is in the neutral to mildly hard range 6.8-7.4 so they technically aren't by nature a softwater species.

7. Philsy

Philsy Member

It is common misconception that all apistos need soft water which is not true, most tankraised fish are bred in tapwater with the few exceptions of course and when dealing with wild fish it is important to research where the species and/or its color morph comes from, for example agassizi from near Manaus have different requirements than the form from near Tapajos.