1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals - Pimafix & Melafix

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anthony, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

I've used these products for over a year now. I normally use them together for fin damage and the occasional injured eye. They work great at aiding in healing any injuries. I've never had to use them for bacterial/fungal infections but I've heard they work great.
    They now offer Melafix Marine which can be used with corals to control bacterial infections, reverse coral degradation and remove parasitic flatworms.

Something I learned today is that Melafix is can also be used to help calm fish and reduce stress. There is even mention that is will help with ich.
    pima & melafix.jpg

2. nossie

nossie Member

I just stumbled across some quite interesting information! Especially about the use of Melafix and Pimafix in a marine environment.
    I found a thread randomly in another forum, taking this wonder drug down a notch. Now I'm not saying that it's a bad product, only that it actually has two sides (which is quite the contrary to what I've heard about it from other aquarists
    ).
    The author of this article says that she's tried the medication herself during several occasions, getting mixed results, AND spoken to the actual developers in Germany.
    She asked why it is that some of her fish haven't been recovering while using this medication, here's the answer:

Here's the link to the full story: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/18757-melafix-pimafix-how-they-work-dont-work.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fi ... -work.html</a>
    Anyone heard about this before? Had similar experiences?

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I can simply say it worked wonders every time I used it (I've always used them both together)...My end results were a REALLY nice smelling tank *lol* and well healed fish!

Ex. 1 discus had a hideous scratch from getting into a tank war over a cube of bloodworms which had landed in the corner beneath a piece of driftwood...I dosed with both together per bottles directions and now you can't even tell where the scratch was. So for me, I definately am sold on these products.

4. genettico

genettico New Member

great product if used to the correct amount. The problem with lots of users is NOT knowing how to even calculate total water volume in their systems which leads many times to overdosing or underdosing.

5. nossie

nossie Member

So that's what I've heard d:

I've got absolutely no problems with the products myself! (Was thinking about getting them actually) The thing that bothers me is the fact that these people who were developing it didn't bother testing it properly, and just added the label "Reef Safe" without testing on that many organisms, more of just assuming that it's safe rather than it actually being.

Then again, it's not that hard to notice if a fish is getting worse from the treatment and do something about it in time. I just feel like that's not how it should be.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I agree with the fully testing for reef, I on the other hand only have freshwater now and can honestly say when I had a reef tank I had no need to medicate (luckily).

7. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Everyone has an opinion an this is mine
    I've seen FAR too many post in this Forum and others that describe one fish problem or another, start out with, "Well, I tried Melafix first, but it didn't seem to help. . . "
    Who is out Where, advocating this stuff as being a viable treatment for anything?
    It ISN'T!
    Interesting product, but is simply does not belong on a list of "first-aid" items in a med kit. What is is good for, is to help speed along the healing process, in wounds of the tissues. For that purpose, it can be useful.
    And that healing process begins after the bacterial infection has been arrested. Melafix has no real anti-bacterial properties to speak of, discounting the ad hype from the manufacturer.
    Bottom line, as far as I know, it "cures" nothing on it's own. First-Aid, it isn't. Supportive therapy would be a more accurate description of it's use on fish. As far as I can tell, as a treatment, it's a waste of money and can delay treatments that would more likely help the fish.
    SNAKE OIL
    IMHO

8. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Just like human medicine some work and some don't. It depends on the strain of bacteria and the individuals immune system, Every illness is different. You can have a major outbreak and some fish die right away and some never get infected. It's all about a knowledgeable guess of what to use at what time. Your best bet is to just know what's out there as far as medications and how the medication will affect your tank.

9. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

You are right in each individual illness is different.
    You wouldn't give green tea to cure a broken leg
    I'll standby "Snake oil".
    It cures nothing!
    Does it have it's place in the fish keeping hobby?
    Maybe to treat minor wounds and as a stress reliever.
    But the science does not support the manufacturers claims.

Rick

PS
    People have build big houses selling this stuff.
    Just as they did in the 1800's

10. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I agree Rick.

11. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.

12. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Hit the nail on the head with that Buzz

13. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I have some of this stuff in the 5ml/50gal concentration for larger tank/ponds, It smells like ben gay, it works on some things but not others, water calculation of total volume is a MUST. Also this medication produces a film on the top of the water meaning, NO LABYRINTH ORGANED fish and no catfish mainly corydoras. Some people have been lucky some have not.

14. nossie

nossie Member

I would say that this medicine is not meant for more serious infections/disease. IF I would use this, I would use it for smaller wounds/physical damage where the chance for infection is smaller and when the "heavier artillery" isn't needed.

15. heatherine

heatherine Member

I trust Melafix...I have a huge catfish who is always trying to squeeze in places he doesn't fit and ends up with scratches every time...a day or two of Melafix and his scratches heal completely. I did turn to it first for what I thought was ich (still not sure if it was or not, but the symptoms were textbook) and it did work. I also used it when one of my fishes jumped out while cleaning the tank, as a stress-type fix, and the fish lived.

The trick is to not expect miracles as far as bacterial infections and also to under-dose.

16. WhiteGloveAquatics

Also found out that one of the ingredients(Active) is clove oil. Its an anestesia as well as know to fish but overdose and its liable to put the fish to sleep like a dog or cat would.

I dumped the stuff, refuse to use it anymore because of that human error risk.

17. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Right. I've actually used it to cull a fish before.

18. WhiteGloveAquatics

dont tell anyone but thats what my turtle is for.

19. heatherine

heatherine Member

ha ha! everybody's gotta eat! :)