1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Aquarium Products Had-A-Snail

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anthony, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

I purchased this stuff to get rid of some small snails that had hatched from some plants I purchased. The package says it's "Effective on more aquatic snails when used as directed" and "Can be used with more fish and plants when applied as directed". The direction are very vague. It only says to use one drop per gallon of water and if a second dosage is required to do a 50% water change first. The second dosage is supposed to be used the following day.

The first time I attempted to use this in my Endler tank I put in 20 drops as directed. I went out about my business and checked on the tank about 30 minutes later. Every single fish in the tank was sitting on the bottom of the tank, still alive, but not moving. I immediately did about a 90% water change thinking it was because I added trace elements not long before using this product. Slowly the fish started to act normal again.

The next day I tried to use a half dose (10 drops). I added the drops and about 2 minutes later several fish started to sit on the bottom again. I waited a bit longer and noticed more and more fish were making their way down to the bottom of the tank. This time I changed almost all the water in the tank. It's not worth risking the lives of my fish. I'm not sure if the problem is because these fish are so small or what. Endler's are VERY hardy fish. Needless to say I won't be using this product again.

After posting this I looked at Aquarium Products' Website. Under their "Had-A-Snail" section is states this, completely different than the package itself. "Harmless to fish and plants".

Stay away from this product!
    had a snail.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Thanks for the info, I almost bought the same product at my lfs a while back. Thankfully the one guy I deal with their is honest and told me the stuff was crap and would do more harm than good and to avoid it like the plague.