1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Aquascaping Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by LemonDiscus, Jan 15, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

If you are into Aquascaping, this is a great site to look at some of the worlds best up and coming Aquascapers!

<a class="postlink" href="http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2008.cgi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2008.cgi</a>

I go onto here and browse quite a bit! And sometimes Takashi Amano gives his thoughts on the tanks too! My favorite part is the judges thoughts on the bottom of the page. Also all plants are listed that were used as well as tank parameters and size to give you an idea of what they did.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I suck at aquascaping. :)

3. LemonDiscus

Me too so dont feel bad. When I think I am doing well I go onto that site and it puts me in my place FAST! :)

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, I know the feeling. LoL Like when I watched the International Aquascaping Contest, and the Nature Aquarium Gallery in Niigata on youtube. :eek:

5. LemonDiscus

I have looked at each year on that site and each size tank!

I did learn a lot by reading the judges comments. They all say the same thing: Aquascaping a 6 foot long aquarium is one of the hardest things to do because you either end up with a jumbled mess or 2 separate aquascapes. Only a few get it right and blend both sides of the tank together to create a smooth piece of art.

Of course with the Algae like I have, even if I ever did get it right I would still loose as they catch even 1 little speck of algae and ding you on that. That and if they see any of the equipment.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I like to go for off the wall unusual scaping, like neons or themes!

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I like aquascaping though I suck badly at it :p

8. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

never tried to poor for plants lol

9. Leslie

Leslie New Member

my tanks just look like i stuck a bunch of stuff in. which i did, and hoped it looked ok. lol!!!!

10. moreless39

moreless39 New Member

Hey ...I get to join the crowd! Although I love planted tanks...my green thumb is actually blue-green. I can get the few I have to grow and look/be healthy....as far as "aquascaping" ...I suck. I guess that WHY I'm a bit hesitate to start on my 85 (had it for 3 mos. now) but I must admit...Anthony's list (and the one that followed ) have helped. Well maybe with a little push from the crowd I'll move on now. everything else is kind'a "textbook" ie. filtration,lighting,substrate, but ...the most important thing (to me ) is the end result ...come to think of it ....I can't paint worth a d*** either ....lol...(although my "fish room" is a balmy carribean blue (very soothing)

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

give it a shot, start with a few and see how they do!
    That's what I did, now I have a freaking jungle...haha!

12. LemonDiscus

I agree with Dawn. You wont get good at it without doing it.... Im still not good at Aquascaping but I feel I have got better over the years :confused:

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

My theory is just stick stuff here and there with taking height and width into account. High in back...mid height in middle....and low and wide ones in the front. toss a few things here and there like driftwood, coconut shells, rocks and you'll be set. It's all in the eye of the beholder when it comes to aquascaping..what one person hates another might absolutely love.