1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Aquatic Crabs (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Leslie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

does anyone know about electric blue crayfish?
    i was woundering if anyone knows about keeping them. someone has them and i thought about getting 2. if you do know of them can you tell me about them and how to care for them?

2. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Re: does anyone know about electric blue crayfish?

If you keep Cichlids with it, they will eat him. If you keep other fish with him, he will eat them

3. Leslie

so basicly they would have to be keep in a tank by there self?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They don't HAVE to be but if they are kept with fish expect him to snatch himself a few of your fish when he's hungry. You may be able to keep that to a minimum if he's really well fed but it won't stop him from catching anything that comes close to him.

5. Leslie

ok. well i know nothing about them but i thought they were pretty and for a buck a peice i was going to get 2. oh and i have another question but it is to frogs should i make a new post or put it here?

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A new thread is fine :D Just to keep topics separated and easier for everyone to follow.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have several electric blues, in with my angels tank, 2 with my assorted tank, and 1 that just hatched babies in my smaller tank. I feed them by hand daily, and have never had an adult casuality with our fish. They are really fun to watch, active..the babies DO however get eaten, so if you see one holding eggs wrapped under i's tail, get it in a tank alone to prevent the babies from being fish food...they are also cannibals, they babies will eat another give plenty of hiding places for fish AND crawfish, I can't believe they a a buch each there..are 16.99 here!

8. Leslie

thanks for the info. that really help. i need to get some more plants before i get some. i may just get 2. if they have babys ill have to figure a way to get ride of them.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

You won't have to worry about babies...if you leave them all with the parent in the tank..well, one or two may survive..if you need to you can feed the very young ones to larger fish..they love them..I have given many away to friends or on cl. My local pet shop also trades out for them( but they are not a buck here..)..I think you will really have fun with them. I feed my guys with a piece of raw sushi quality fish on a string with a sinker attached, they also eat sinking pellets and scrounge the bottom of my tanks, but I want to make sure they have enough food, cause they are in tanks with fishies..

10. Leslie

they are on cl. i looked at the pictures and i have seen some one person who had them. i thought they were cool.

11. Leslie

?? about a crab?

?? about a crab?
    ok. i went to this fish/gromer/small mamels store. and they had this little aqadic crab. it was fresh water. but my question is could i possable put a crab with a frog or would the crab eat the frog?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: ?? about a crab?

Red Claw Crabs or Gold Fiddler Crabs maybe. Once they got bigger, I'd worry about the frog's safety.

13. Leslie

see i was thinking that it might eat the frog too. but my dd was screeming "I WANT A CRAB!!!". im not sure what type it was. it was little and its claws were small. i know nothing about crabs.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's not that it would eat the frog but it could grab it and injure it.

15. Leslie

i was looking up the crabs you mentioned and these have to come outta the water. or did i miss understand it? this one stayed in the water it whole life.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Right. I don't know of any freshwater crabs that can stay in the water 100% of the time.

17. Leslie

well i can only asume it is fully aquadic as it was in the bottom of a deep tank with no where to get air.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I had a crab that I thought was fully aquatic but found him on top of the tank sitting on the airline tubing.

19. Leslie

if it isnt fully aqudac then im not going to get it.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

most crabs arent fully aquatic