1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

are my water parameters ok & question about feeder guppies

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

water tests
    I just tested my tanks and figured I'd post the results here and you all could tell me if I need to adjust anything and if so what is the best way to do it...
    55 gallon tank
    - Ph 6.4
    - Amonia 0
    - Nitrite 0
    Temp 78

20 gallon tank
    - Ph 7.6 also tested with high range test and it showed same
    - Amonia 0
    - Nitrite 0
    Temp 82
    I didn't do the guppies yet they seem to be thriving and breeding like little champs in all 3 tanks.. can you really feed the babies to the cichlids? Is it good for them? What about the angels? I have never fed live food to any of my fish. Thanks again for all your great advice everyone!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Those numbers look good to me.

You CAN feed guppies to cichlids, I don't recommend it but some people do it on occasion.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

The water parameters look good here. PH is perfect for each group.

The temp seems a bit low for the Angels..... I keep my Angels/Discus at 85-88 degrees. I am not saying to go that high, but is there any reason you are not running 80-82?

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I just don't know about the live feeding... call me a softy.. I am thinking about trying to seperate out the males, females and babies and putting them in seperate tanks. It has been survival of the fittest for the past 6 months and my tanks are still overrun with them.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

No reason, that is just what I have always had it at, but I can raise it with no problem.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't agree with live feedings unless it's absolutely necessary. That's just me though.

7. LemonDiscus

I had my first Oscar and fed him all live foods..... needless to say he got HITH (Hole in the Head) and died. I was told NEVER feed a fish live food because the food you give them may introduce disease into the tank as the cheap fish are not really raised in good environments.

No, dont raise it..... not unless you have a problem. Raising temp works better for a lot of illness than meds. If that is what you have always kept and it works I wouldnt raise it. (kind of like I will not lower mine for that reason)

The 1 illness that cant stand heat is Ick! Raise the temp up to 88 and Ick-B-Gone!

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Very true.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok.. another question... about testing. The guy at the pet store showed me how to test the KH and GH tonight. I already had the stuff to test in my kit but had never done it. He said that with the cichlids that it is important to keep the KH around 8 and to use cichlid buffer to bring my PH up to about 8. Is this right? I haven't checked the KH yet as I just finally got all the kids in bed and am relaxing for a few..

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Your pH is fine. Keep in mind that a stable pH is A LOT better than a pH that is constantly changing because you have to add buffer to your water. I never worry about kH and gH with African's.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok.. good! Do I need to worry about it with my angels?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm a bit confused why he would even tell you to test your gH. I know people do test for it in freshwater but it's not something I'd be concerned about if it was not perfect. gH is basically the measurement of Magnesium and Calcium ions in the water. This is something I test for in saltwater, but not freshwater.

I wouldn't worry about it with your Angel's but again, that's just because those two things aren't something I generally worry about in freshwater unless it's vital. I'll let the Angel keepers comment on that though.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Let me point out that I've confused myself that and now I'm questioning what I wrote. LoL

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

lol.. ok.. he was talking more about the KH, but showing me that you test them the same way with the one drop at a time til it changes colors.

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

My brain isn't working well tonight. LoL I'm pretty sure pH and kH go together. As your pH rises so does your kH, making your water "harder".

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yes... it is something like that.

17. LemonDiscus

KH is a calculation between CO2 and PH.... you can use your KH and PH to get your CO2 level and of course you can go backwards...;.. They are all related. KH would not affect fish, low KH makes it hard to grow plants. If your KH gets low you can buffer you KH up using Baking Soda.

I dont really worry much about KH and GH myself. I do check it occasionally just to see if my tap water is the same, otherwise I dont. I did check it a lot when I first started messing with Discus.

Angels like Discus do seem to thrive in softer water (in my experience as my water IS soft) My GH is nothing and KH is almost unreadable too. I do not use Baking Soda in my tank to raise KH.... I just try to find plants that like soft, warm, acidic water to live with my Angels and Discus.

Little old saying I heard when I was younger.... "If it aint broken, dont fix it" I like that! Basically if what you have works.... dont complain or worry.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Adding baking soda will also raise your pH.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ive heard you should never add baking soda to your tank.

20. LemonDiscus

You know, I have never done it.... but I did read up on it online and the chemical that creates KH sold if fish stores IS baking soda. Of course it has to be plain baking soda and not scented or anything.... but another fish keeper told me to do that as my KH is low.

Of course as I said, I have never done that as it seemed fishy to me causing me to look up what baking soda was and what was sold in pet stores to raise KH. Again they were both the same thing.