1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

are my water parameters ok & question about feeder guppies

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I added it to my cichlid tank in the beginning when I was adjusting my pH until the crushed coral substrate started to buffer the water itself.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ive never done it just heard you shouldnt

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've never heard that. I have heard of several people using it on a regular basis without any problems.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok.. I might let the kids test it this afternoon (science experiment) just to see what it is, but since all my guys seem to be doing good right now I am not going to worry about it.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Re: question regarding ph & api brand freshwater test kit

I guess I will just wait and see what it is at after it cycles.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Unless you do something to change it cycling itself won't change your pH.

7. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

I agree with anthony here. Every time you do a water change it will raise your PH unless you treat the water or use RO water.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe I will look into a RO system... couldnt be that hard to figure out.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Did you use the ph high or ph low test kit?

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I used the low kit first and it was off the charts so I did the high after as the directions said.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:19 pm
    So I went and got this today to check the levels in the tank and straight from the tap. My results are as follows.

Ph is 8.0
    Ammonia is 1.0ppm
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5.0ppm

Now my question is how do I get my Ph down to 6.8-7.0 range should I buy one of those chemicals that does the certain Ph reading? I would like to try and minimize the overall work load on tank changes in the future so I am not sure the peat method would work in the long term. Is there also a way to get my Ammonia down other than chemicals? I am new to the testing thing, I followed the directions so I am sure the results are accurate according to the test book. Does anyone have any experiance with this brand of test kit? Thank you.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:29 pm
    First thing I will ask is why you want to lower it (Your pH).

As for the ammonia you will have to use Prime to remove it BEFORE adding any water to your tank.

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:31 pm
    Yes, I have used that and still have bits of it (way too many different tests I have)....

How old is the tank? The easy way to get the ammonia level down is to OD about 2-5 times with Prime.

Nitrates are really only fixed by water changes and/or live plants. At least your Nitrite is low.

Usually the specific conditions you have listed (ammonia/nitrate) are caused by improper water changes (not enough removed and/or not often enough changing).

As for the PH refer to this link and my post.. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1613

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:43 pm
    There is nothing in the tank yet only hardscape (rocks/sand) So it hasnt cycled yet. I want to lower the Ph for the puffers and most plants dont care for the high of a Ph (or the ones I want to get). There has been water in the tank with filter for 2 days now so it is in the 1st stages of being re-done.

I gave the other water specs just because it would seem you all want to know it. I really only need to know how to lower the Ph for the live stock I plan to get.

15. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:54 pm
    When I lived in Hawaii I had really hard water that would come out of the tap at about PH 8.0. I couldn't afford a RO system so I just kinda had to live with it. I did co2 injection which lower the PH I just had to use a lot of co2. I would suggest looking into a RO system. You can get them for about $125 on ebay (i don't how good they are but you could do some research). You would of coarse have to install it in your home but I don't think its very hard.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:58 pm
    Driftwood and peat would be what I suggest to lower it in the tank but the issue arises when it's water change time. You'd be adding water with a pH of 8.0 back into the tank. To fix that you'd have to use a chemical or buy an RO unit.

I just added this to the Knowledge Base.
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1615&p=18908