1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

beatin up fish

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

help I just found my royal grandma chewed up and all the rest of my fish are safe and movining nicely but noticed the strawberry garmen is being aggrasive I also have blue tang yellow tang 4 clown and flame angel and sand sifting gobie and2 star fish 4 green cromose help

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What size tank is this ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

its a 95 gallon with 80 lb of lr and 60 lb of ls

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What's a "strawberry garmen" ?

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

a purple what i thought was a non agresive fish its small like a yellow fin

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Without real names I'm not sure what you're referring to. You need to remove the injured fish or the aggressive one though. Treat the injured fish with Pima and Melafix to prevent any infections and aid in fin regrowth.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Already ready removed the dead bodie and the purole murder is out in his own tank and what im thinking is that the royal was weak or sick and the ourole one and the blue tang saw that and they may have atacked ???????? well I guess im going to see what happens when I put in a new one

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok sorry its actual called a strawberry dottie back sorry

9. lostanime

lostanime New Member

you sure you identified the right killer/culprit? The reason I'm asking is alot of these can be highly aggressive (clowns can be extremely mean/defensive of areas, tangs are notorious harassers, and the flame we had for the last year would attack and start to shred every fish we added to our tank... even ones 3x longer then him! the flames aren't normally that aggressive though, ours was particularly mean) I'd trust the chromis, goby, and the royal though...

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

royal grandma...... lol

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

there are no guarantees when fish are put in a tank. all have ranges of behavior, and the wrong fish can always be disastrous. my guess is that ANY group of fish in a tank has a few that are under constant stress.

12. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Although this can be common, I don't 100% agree... I think many tanks can balance a good selection of fish with minimal to non-existent stress. The tank just needs to be large enough for the combination in question, with a good variety of diets, and plenty of hiding places, relatively compatible specimens selected and in some cases enough to pre-occupy them (ie controllable power heads, wave makers, etc)

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i don't think that anyone wants to say the size or condition of a tank can prevent stress, albeit invisible, from an aquarium fish. it's one thing to be in the wild, and be able to change the situation. it's quite another thing knowing a potential predator is only a couple feet away, 24-7

14. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Regarding size/condition - large, properly decorated tanks with high water quality, tailored to the specimens kept has been a clearly documented way to reduce fish stress. That's only one part though - your absolutely right that it wont remove stress from having a predator housed close by. Proper aggressive feeding DOES minimize aggression from predators though, and if your selecting relatively compatible fish, predation is rarely an issue (not 100% guaranteed of course, every individual fish can have it's own quirky personality... but why would someone house a likely predator/prey combination in a tank?)

I guess all I'm saying is that stress can be reduced to a non-issue for all inhabitants, if 1-the tank provides space and needs for the amount/type of fish stocked, 2-dietary needs are met, and 3-compatible fish are housed together. I should have mentioned this as well - since each fish can have it's own quirks... it does take a responsible aquarist that will separate or remove individual fish that become prone to harassing others. I do not agree with the mentality that all tanks have some fish stressed out in them and that it's "OK" to just leave things be while particular fish get harassed until they succumb to some ailment.

15. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Also I hope my posts aren't being taken personally... their primary intention is to promote well being for the fish and success for aquarists, and aren't intended as personal attacks ... just a debate/disagreement of sorts on views on this subject.

If I'm actually offending - please accept my apologies.