1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Best Soil for Newt aquarium...

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by DarkDemolition, Jul 21, 2009.

1. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition Thread Starter New Member

On my last post on the newts setup,I have an idea in lighting but at the moment I want to know what is the best substrate .I have the beeding I'll be using but don't know if it's suitable for the plants itself. It'll be Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber then underneath Substrate HydroBalls.. so far what I researched ...So if you have any suggest feel free.. ;)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I would actually replace the Substrate HydroBalls with Eco Complete and possibly some normal potting soil mixed in there (make sure it doesn't have fertilizers in it).

3. DarkDemolition

Not sure if it's good for newt and but I would think if I use the Eco on top and the potting underneath.. would that work .. just to be in the safe said.. because I wante to give humidity int he aquarium... that's why I chose the Hydro and Eco to together.. and work just fine....don't knwo the first suggesting is suitable... meaning the Eco on top and potting soil at the bottom.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

always agree with the eco-complete ((Great for growing plants & extremely natural))!

5. DarkDemolition

That's awesome cool .. Question can I use it without Hydr Balls which goes underneath the eco?But yeah I'll be using Eco for sure.. :D

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The Eco Complete comes packaged wet. I would use that as a replacement for the HydroBalls.

7. DarkDemolition

Ok Then I'll use Eco .. which is better then hydro balls.. thanks for the advice..

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think if you wanted to place some soil on the very bottom of that side of the tank is would be fine. Like I said, as long as it doesn't have any fertilizers you shouldn't have any problems adding it to the tank.

9. DarkDemolition

Alright then I'll do that.. but can I use Flourite Clay-based Plant Gravel as the soil got plants?

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Use Flourite in place of the Eco Complete ?

11. DarkDemolition

I was just thinking Flourite at the bottom and the Eco on top or mix together with any gravel or substrate...

12. DarkDemolition

I don't want to take the chance of using the Flourite on top because if the newt would eat one accidently then it'll be problems.. So I wanted to have the Eco on top and the Flourite in the bottom, just to be on the safe side..

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

imo you should only need the eco and 1 bag should do ya!

14. DarkDemolition

Cool thanks for the advice you guys :D