1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

black beard/brush algae (questions & advice)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by LemonDiscus, Feb 26, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Amano Shrimp
    So I am loosing the war again against the Beard Algae :confused:

I was considering a swarm of Amano Shrimp to battle it on the front lines daily. The thing is I am getting mixed readings about them eating Beard Algae. Beard Algae is the ONLY algae in my aquarium so there is no choice (the Otos take out the Blue Green Algae)

2. LemonDiscus

Re: Amano Shrimp

Crap, I am also reading that they WILL die in water temps over 82 :confused:

3. LemonDiscus

Ok, I am reading that the Red Cherry Shrimp can tolerate the higher temps I run at AND I could actually have them breeding in my tank to replace older dieing ones... may be the better way...

Do these eat beard algae good?

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

Is this for the big tank? If so...I smell lunch meat.

5. LemonDiscus

Yes, I dont think the Discus will get all of them... the only "predators" in the tank would be the German Blue Rams and the Discus.... of course the Cardinal Tetras could eat babies, they would never get a shrimp that is as big as them in their mouths.

I would immagine if the Discus could not eat the Tetras they would not be able to eat these... I could be wrong though :confused:

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

I'm debating on SAE. I think they are on the bubble with the temps...how are you on stocking level?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

As far as I know the only things that will eat BBA are Siamese Algae Eaters, American Flagfish and there's another but I can't think of it right now.

8. LemonDiscus

I am WAY understocked in the tank! I mean they have TONS of room to roam... here is what I have in that tank now.... (125 Gallons)

8-9 Discus (right now there are 8 but I have one removed because he was a problem fish)
    2 German Blue Rams
    13 Cardinal Tetras
    4 Corydoras
    11 Otos

9. James0816

James0816 New Member

Yep...flag fish would be one however the tank temp would definately get them. They are a cool water fish.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep. :confused: I'm surprised the BBA keeps coming back. *Knock on wood* Mine is completely gone and I'm not seeing any signs of it returning.

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

I'd be willing to go out on a limb here and say get 3-4 SAEs for this size tank and do a very slow acclimation. Do you maintain at 82F or does it fluctuate higher?

12. LemonDiscus

86 it is maintained at

PH 5.5
    GH 3
    KH 7

That setup REALLY limits my possibilities :x

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

Ick! I thought I saw somewhere you mentioned 82. Maybe it was another tank.

14. LemonDiscus

Yeah, that is my Angelfish Breeding tank...

It is those conditions that made me think maybe some shrimp.....

15. LemonDiscus

Yeah, I am beginning to get VERY annoyed by this stuff! I keep hitting it with peroxide and it seems to triple in quantity :confused:

I GOT to find a way to get rid of this.... otherwise another break-down with BLEACH will be coming soon!!!!! I dont want to do that, BUT if I have to I will. :roll:

That is where I am searching the best I can to find something to eat that! SAE I have read will quit eating the algae after a while and may become aggressive to the other fish (I cant have that)

16. James0816

James0816 New Member

I'm not even so sure of the shrimp at that temp. Cherries would get picked off...not sure they'd really work on the beard algae to begin with. Amano's would do the trick on the algae but the temp comes into play again.

I would still go with the SAE.

17. LemonDiscus

Another idea is to remove my livestock and nuke the tank with copper! I mean hit it hard! I dont really wanna break down again and it is taking over my tank AGAIN!!! I really dont want a SAE as I dont think they will work with my fish. I am thinking now one good pounding with copper should kill it all and it should not come back. Then neutralize the copper and re-add the fish. That would be a way to get rid of my snails too :)

18. James0816

James0816 New Member

They'll work with what you got in there. Very peacfull guys. At least mine is and he's the most intimidating looking fish of the bunch. ;o)

I'd just hate for you to have to go through all that trouble and stress the discs out again. Use that as a last resort.

You didn't mention you had snails....I see a clown loach or two in your future.

;)

19. LemonDiscus

ehhh, the snail population is really low and always has been. I must have got them in my tank about a year ago but I never see but maybe 2 or 3 unless I break down the tank.... Then maybe 40 at most so it is not a bad population..... actually they dont bother me for that reason. I think somebody (Discus!?!?) are eating them before they can get big and I KNOW the Tetras are eating the eggs!

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds like your defin having a rough time with the bba.
    I used about 6 siamese algae fish to get rid of mine, but with temperatures as high as yours your going to have a rough time finding something live to put in there to remove it "naturally".

I've read flagfish eat it? Though I can't say from experience (never had them)

Cherry shrimp would be quickly picked off by your fish imo and are notorious for being sucked into the intake of filters.

From what I've read on it the following are suggested (mind you take into account your high temp and what's safe with discus as I know nothing about them):
    -Squirt with excel daily directly onto afflicted (works on driftwood too, but will kill moss)
    -clip affected plants
    -Bleach equipment/decor that isn't porous
    -overfiltrate water/power heads for dead spots
    -Siamese Algae eaters
    -American Flagfish
    -iron makes it worse
    -high water changes (50%)