1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

black beard/brush algae (questions & advice)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by LemonDiscus, Feb 26, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Re: Amano Shrimp / Algae

I just cleaned a few of my filters (the Emperor 400 and the Magnum 350) in hopes to remove the dead algae and debris the filters picked up.

I also bleached all of my filters and intake tubes! Now that algae turned white! :)

I reinstalled everything, did a partial water change and double dosed the entire tank with prime (in addition to the standard dose that I used to dechlorinate the buckets of new water). Just trying to re-neutralize the tank...

All of these problems are kind of making me thinking of buying test kits for Phosphates, Iron and all of the other "plant" chemicals in the tank.... It may be worth the investment.... Then at least instead of firing a shotgun blast of things to fix a problem I dont know what it is, I can at least know what the problems are.

PS thanks Anthony for fixing the title.... the topic kind of changed over the life of this thread!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Getting those test kits may be a good idea. The only tests I use are. Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, GH, KH, pH, and Phosphates.

No problem. I was trying to make the title clear for those who used the search option.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Those test kits do get rather expensive though....

Do you have any recommendations of which of those "odd" test kits would be good for my usage (highly planted tank, history of algae problems, etc)

I have the following now
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    KH
    GH
    PH

I know I dont have a nitrate test kit (im out now and need another) but what else is useful?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, they sure do.

I would add the Phosphate test. Other than that I'm not sure what others would be best.