1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Black Skirt Tetras Knocked Up or Just Pudgy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MOD_Dawn, Oct 3, 2008.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Black Skirt Tetras Knocked Up or Just Pudgy?
    Quick question, I got these Black Skirt Tetras around the beginning of September from a Petco sale and at first they weren't much to look at. Definately on the SMALL side. Now the group is quite large in size and some are looking like they are knocked up...or possibly just fed a bit too well?
    I've never really kept tetras before & would like to know what I am dealing with if possible? Photos attached. Information ALWAYS appreciated. If knocked up I'm assuming they lay eggs...and if so is their any special care...or do I just let nature take its course?
    ~Thank you ol' mighty wise fisherpeople! :)
    10-3-08 Black Skirt & Neon Tetras - Copy.jpg 10-3-08 Black Skirt Tetras - Copy.jpg 20-3-08 swimming black skirt tetras - Copy.jpg 10-3-08 Black Skirt Tetras (2) - Copy.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How many do you have, 4 ? Are they all fat like that ?

3. MOD_Dawn

I think theirs 4, their not co-operating by staying still..lol!
    When they were purchased they were all the same size. about the size of a dime,maybe slightly bigger. NOT fat like in photos.
    NOW 2 of them are large and fat and 2 of them are much smaller and flat..if that makes any sense.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Are they all eating ?

5. MOD_Dawn

yup, they are the second ones to the top when it comes to feeding time. Gouramis first, them second.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How often and what are you feeding them ?

7. MOD_Dawn

2 times a day, occassionaly I might miss a night feeding. ALL inhabitants are getting a variety of the following:
    Frozen bloodworms, Hikari algae wafers, Hikari Multi Vitamin brine shrimp in jar, Tetramin Tropical Flakes in jar, Tetracolor Tropical Flakes in jar, Tetra baby shrimp sun dried gammarus, TetraColor Granules extreme, & french cut canned green beans.
    I would say I go by the nice pinch method as to feeding etiquette ;)

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

So a pinch twice a day normally ?

9. MOD_Dawn

yup, unless its the algae tabs...then its normally 2-3 of them...depending on how many plecos and corys come outta the wood works. >>lost 1 pleco due to a algae tab war...poor lil guy was on the bottom and they just about sucked him clean :)

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

From looking at the picture again it looks like they're just overfed. I'd cut back on the feeding for a few days and see what happens. Personally, I wouldn't feed them for one or two days then feed them once a day (a pinch) for a few more days. If they stay like that I'd begin to worry about possible health problems later on.

11. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

from what i can tell in the pics just good old fashion table muscle and if she feeds her fish that good i might wanna move in i could use a few pounds

12. MOD_Dawn

Lol. So younz are sayin my fish are fat? :) :)
    Man, and I was hoping for some lil skirts..shucks!
    Well during this economic crapper at least the pets are still living the good life. Lmdao!

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL, sorry I don't think they're full of eggs.

14. MOD_Dawn

oh well, no little skirts for me. At least the cherry shrimp and snails are successfully getting their freak on. Lol!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i had black skirt tetras for a while the males get plumper and the way to tell is there anal fin is fully black and the females are faded.The males tend to get plump but not the females

16. MOD_Dawn

Sounds like I may have 2 males and 2 females then.
    Thanks for the info. ;)

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The anal fin of the female Black Skirt tetra is narrower than the male anal fin. The front edge runs parallel with the second vertical line on her abdomen. The dorsal fin is also less pointed in females. In male Black Skirt tetras, the front edge of the anal fin slants back towards the tail. You can also distinguish the two sexes by looking at their body shape; the female is typically plumper than the male. Male Black Skirt tetras will sometimes sport white dots on the caudal fin.

18. MOD_Dawn

okay is it the male that gets plumper or the female? :confused:

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

female.

20. MOD_Dawn

thank you, then maybe my 2 pudgers are the females?