1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

black substrate

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by lethalcustoms00, Jan 1, 2011.

1. lethalcustoms00

lethalcustoms00 Thread Starter Member

im tearing down the 75 thats salt water so i can go back to fw again and i want to use a black substrate thats not eco complete and thta will be safe for loaches, does anybody have and suggestions

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

3. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

Carib sea makes a sand called tahitian moon . ... nice stuff and very safe for loaches.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

here's a pict I found of the african cichlid tank I did with it...just to give you an actual idea of what it looks like in a filled tank. (soft belly safe, no need to rinse)
    4-27-08 Entire tank..jpg

5. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

If it's not a planted tank just about any black sand would do if planted I agree with Dawn.

6. lethalcustoms00

lethalcustoms00 Thread Starter Member

i had forgotten about tms. is there anything else that anyone has used that works

7. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

You can always use basic black gravel available at most LFS or online...

8. Jeff W

Jeff W New Member

There is a place in Green Bay Wi. that sells sand by the lb. @ $.75 per. You can buy large buckets full of the stuff. It is just like the 3M stuff they use to sell. This sand is made out of the same gravel that they sell in small bags in LFS. I have to look up the Name of the place and I will post it. I know they ship but not sure of the cost of shipping. I use this in alot of my tanks. Comes in many different colors. I will post the name of the place as soon as I find it.

Jeff