1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself Blackwater Extract.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Ancistra', Mar 13, 2009.

1. Ancistra'

Ancistra' Thread Starter New Member

The pH in my Amazon tank used to run very low without any help from me. It would consistently read yellow with a test kit. That's 6.0. Sometimes after a healthy water change it would read at 6.4, and then gradually slip down towards the 6.0 again.

Lately, though, my pH reads the same as the tap water which is 7.6.
    I don't get why, because I don't think I'm doing anything different, but there it is.

So I'm trying something that European hobbyists always talk about, which is add an extract of something to the water. I belong to a Corydoras catfish club and may of the members are from Northern Europe. A member from Norway tells me that she uses oak bark extract in her tank, which she buys from a German supplier.

I modified this idea a little and came up with oak leaves. Oak leaves are very popular for creating the leaf litter that so many catfish (and other fish) like, so I figured it would work.

Here's how I made about a liter of oak leaf extract:

1. Collect some oak leaves.
    They must be clean and dry before you use them, but they can be wet when you collect them.

[​IMG]
    The collection area is important. It needs to be in a place where the leaves are not exposed to pesticides, road tar, or other pollutants. This culvert and stream bed is in Henrico County, Virginia. I've collected lizard's tail (Saururus cernuus) for use in the aquarium from here before, so I know this area is okay.

2. Choose about 15 to 20 large, intact leaves. They should be dry and clean. Wipe off any insect debris, cocoons, dry dirt.

[​IMG]
    These leaves dried in the sun. I think they are really pretty.

3. Soak the leaves in about one and a half liters of water in a pot which can later be boiled.
    If you have an old pot, fine, but this procedure will not harm your regular cooking pots.

I left my leaves to soak for 48 hours, but 24 would probably work, too. Let's say somewheres between 24 to 48 hours of soaking in plain, cold tap water.

4. Boil the leaves in the same soaking water for about 15 minutes.
    Longer will not produce a darker brew, so I'd say 15 to 20 minutes is plenty.

[​IMG]
    Here is what my "witches' cauldron" looks like after the boiling is over. The extract looks and smells like a dark brewed black tea. The reddish color reminds me of Yorkshire Gold Tea, from Yorkshire England. My favorite.
    Was I tempted to sip a teaspoonfull? Yes, but I didn't.

Let the liquid cool.

5. Filter the cooled extract through a paper filter.
    I set up the bottle I was going to use with a funnel fitted with a paper coffee filter.
    You have to pour the liquid slowly, and change the filters when the trickle slows to a slow drip.

[​IMG]
    I went through three paper filters to get a liter+1 cup of extract.

I'm doing some experiments with a cup of plain water to find out how much extract it takes to lower the pH in a significant way.

So far it looks like 2 teaspoons of extract in one cup of water will lower the pH from 7.6 to 7.2. A lot of time has elapsed to get this far, because I add the extract 1/2 teaspoon at a time. The water+extract sits several hours between readings to see if the pH will lower itself further.

I consider a valid reading to be the same reading, obtained three times in a row, over a period of 36 hours.

If anyone knows how to make a stronger concentration, please post your ideas here!

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Great idea.... the same effect can also be achieved by adding peat moss into your filtration system (contained in a pantyhose sack)

3. James0816

James0816 New Member

Peat is also very good at this.

Another thing....do you have shrimp or snails? If so, you can place a couple of the leaves in your tank and they will sift and much and hide.

4. Ancistra'

I know about peat, but it's not the same thing as tannin staining from leaves and bark. I think they each bring their own character to the water and they each have something different to add.

Lemon, do you use peat yourself? In which tank?
    Is it the same kind as what we would put around outside plants?

James, I have snails in the tank mentioned above. I've tried leaf litter before and it's awesome in a long sand tank with natural lighting. ;)

5. LemonDiscus

Yes I do use peat and it does stain the water... I use it on my 125 and my 55... both are stained brown now....

Also PH (you have to watch dosage) is 5.8 on my 125 and 6.5 right now on my 55.... both only have the peat in 1 filter (In the 125 I had it in all 3 and my PH crashed below 5 so I took it out of all but 1 filter and the 55 I only have it in a 1 cartridge HOB filter... my 2 cartridge just uses the standard filter cartridges)

If you want the brown staining which James and I like you CANNOT have carbon in your filter.

Yes it is the same as for outside plants BUT be careful there are not fertilizers added (usually these are sold in like 50lb bags)

6. Ancistra'

Sorry - I didn't explain myself right.

What I mean is, I know peat stains the water and lowers pH.
    I wanted to try something more like what would be the case in the natural habitat - water staining from leaves and bark in the water.

The Amazon river basin and its drainages are not peat bogs, as far as I know.
    So, I wanted to stay away from peat this time, and see if I could accomplish the lower pH with the oak leaves.

I think it will take a lot of this extract to do that, from my "experiments" so far ...

BTW, I think your Discus tank looks great!

7. LemonDiscus

Thank you for the tank compliments...

No the Amazon River is actually "white water"... meaning no staining... there are a few tributaries that are "blackwater".... The blackwater is caused by rotting plant matter in the water whether it be leaves, wood or whatever.... Peat moss is decayed wood and plant matter...

Basically where I am going is that boiled dead oak leaves, peat moss, driftwood, rotting plant leaves (dead aquarium plant leaves) or anything else that is plant and rotting contributes some to the tannic acid in the tank.

Regardless of source, its all the same thing. :cool:

8. Ancistra'

Pretty much all the catfish I own, have owned, and will own come from the Rio Orinoco basin, which is a blackwater system. I've never had to worry about lowering pH until now. Even so, the water in the tank in question is not clear. It's a pale brownish-yellow color, which sounds nasty but looks good.
    My KH is low, the water is stained, I have tons of wood, plant leaves decay regularly but still the pH has gone up. It used to be quite low, as said above.
    Do you have any ideas as to why the pH has gone up?

9. LemonDiscus

I run the peat in my filters and it pulls it right down. If you put a peat bag in each filter part it will come down in no time. DO watch your PH as I did not keep an eye on mine for a week and I checked it again and I was below PH 5.

I keep Asian and Florida bred Discus, Angelfish, GBRs and Cardinal Tetras which are ALL blackwater species.

Do you have any rocks in your tank. It is possible that one of the rocks could be pulling your PH up?! Shells?? What is your substrate?? Crushed Coral pulls up PH.

The KH being low kind of confuses me. My KH and GH are both very low and barely mensurable off of a liquid test kit. Some of this is due to my tap water... the rest is from the peat.

The other question is what is your PH out of the tap? Are you on city water as they may have changed something?

10. James0816

James0816 New Member

I should sell you guys my well water. I'm below 6 out of the tap. ;o)

11. LemonDiscus

:)

Mine is 7 and VERY soft out of the tap.... not hard for me to pull down the PH (having soft water removes the buffer to keep the PH stable at 7 and allows it to go down easily!)

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

Definately! Just can't wait to get my big tank built! The rays....the rays be callin fer me!

13. LemonDiscus

Another blackwater species.... I LOVE IT :D

14. James0816

James0816 New Member

The only way to swim!

15. LemonDiscus

Indeed... note my "title/rank" :)

16. Ancistra'

Lemon, I'll answer some of your questions.

Yes, the rocks were collected over the years from river and stream beds. I'm sure they are quartz based and inert. I use regular Estes' 3-5 mm aquarium gravel in this tank. No shells or coral. All of these rocks and gravel have been in the tank for years. The tank is 10 years old.

The last time I took a KH test was about 5 years ago.
    At the time the KH from the tap was 4. (about 62 ppm.)
    The KH in this tank was between 3 - 4. (between 50 - 62 ppm.)
    (Using API test kit)
    I figured the low-ish KH was the reason the pH consistently dropped. Since that was a desirable condition for me, I didn't worry about it.

I will do a new KH test over the next day or so. Do I need a new test kit?

The pH out of the tap is 7.6 or the darkest blue on the test card, using the API test kit. I suspect it's even higher than that, and the kit can't measure it. It's been this way for years and there seems to be no seasonal change.

I keep notes on my tanks, and this tank used to routinely read about 6.0 on the test card, and I think it was even lower, the color was such a bright yellow.

My wood is old. There are three large pieces and they have been in the tank for years, the oldest piece is over ten years old. Could it be that they have stopped leaching?

Also, the other thing I just thought of is that there are far fewer catfish in this tank, now, than there used to be. I decided a gravel tank is not good for most catfish and now I just keep a couple of small Chaetostoma in there.

I appreciate you sticking with me on this, and I'll take on board any ideas you may have.
    I'm primarily concerned with why the pH has dropped, not how to lower it with extracts, because I think I already know how to do that. ;)

Do you think the wood stopping leaching is a possibility? And fewer messy fish? All my fish are very small; I have lots of 3-5 mm ramshorn snails.

James, I will be at your house with some very large 5 gallon water bottles in about two hours! :) Is .10/gallon fair? [laughing] JK!

17. LemonDiscus

The fish wont change PH.. It is possible that the driftwood has quit leeching. I would say to run a test on the KH and GH.... if you have an older test kit it should work still... if not I would test that and see what it is out the tap.

There is a chance the hardness has changed in the tap water... if so that would also buffer the water to a higher PH and help keep it up there. In order to lower PH the water needs to be softened with peat, driftwood, blackwater extract... etc... Hardness and PH kind of play off of each other.

I dont think that you will get your PH down without adding Peat or Blackwater extract or a combination of the 2.

I dont think you have a problem persay, but if you desire the lower PH just use something to buffer down that is natural...

Again I know you heard this "It is better to have an improper but STABLE PH than it is to have PH that regularly fluctuates."

18. greg curtis

greg curtis New Member

Anyone try Indian Almond leaves (Ketapang) instead of the oak leaves. I use them in my betta tank. Gives off a nice tea colored effect in the water.

19. LemonDiscus

I have heard that those are GREAT to use... I just use peat myself... but I have heard NOTHING BUT GOOD about the Indian Almond Leaves!

20. daphilster08

daphilster08 New Member

I am new here but I read this and related!

I picked some up from the U of Minnesota a couple months ago and put them in my swordtail and Pelvicachromis pulcher and they bread right after a couple water changes :)

Pictures moved to this thread: Blackwater Tank / Aquarium