1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself Blackwater Extract.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Ancistra', Mar 13, 2009.

1. James0816

James0816 New Member

I'm still pondering it. I still love peat though. I'll go back to oak leafs when i set up my river tank for hillstreams. ;)

2. Ancistra'

Ancistra' Thread Starter New Member

It's possible we've gone as far with this topic as we can.

The KH in my tank is 2, just edging toward 3. I would say this is low KH by anyone's standard. Not the lowest, but low.
    Out of the tap KH is 4; I'll say 4, but it could have been somewhat less. You know how it is with test kits and colors.

Water hardness definitely plays a role, but my water has always been on the soft side, measuring about 4 with the test kit. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a reading at all with the kit I have, it's too old I guess. I'm getting a new test kit today and will see what's what with GH.

So ...
    You can see my dilemma: obviously some buffering is lost in the tank, which would indicate the water is still on the soft side, and with a low KH to start with the pH should be dropping. I do not do frequent water changes, and I have lots of plant life, including plants that are naturally decomposing.

All the pieces are in place for a low pH but the pH is 7.2, regardless.
    I'd like to know why, but I think we've exhausted all the possible reasons.
    ( -> I realize if I want a lower pH I need to add something, but I've decided to keep the pH as is.)

I appreciate the input on this thread ;) and basically agree with what's been said. One thing I'd like to comment on:
    I think a heavy bioload of fish will definitely contribute to the available organics in the tank, creating acidic conditions, and thereby affecting pH. As well, the decomposing organic material starves oxygen from the tank, which raises available CO2 and lowers the pH somewhat.

I've decided to add the oak leaf extract to my Dekeyseria tank. That is a true backwater fish that needs conditions similar to Discus.

The tank that's the subject of this thread (20 gallon Amazon) is in the process of being converted to a wild-type guppy tank (20 gallon stream pool) :D and many changes have been made already, so I'll not worry about pH and just go with the 7.2 as is.

[​IMG]
    This is how it looks today. That big floater is hornwort, for the babies.
    The whole top used to be covered in water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) which is a high maintenance plant that needs frequent pruning of old and dead leaves. It has gorgeous roots.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Yeah that is soft water... very soft compared to many peoples water (same conditions as mine)

I dont know why the PH is going up.... hmmm .... well if you are starting another tank they I guess it does not matter so much :confused:

4. greg curtis

greg curtis New Member

My ph out of the tap is 7.0 and both DH & KH is between 3 & 4 so I guess I'm in the same boat. Don't yet have a tank setup (soon I Hope) so I can't say what it will be in the tank. The 120g Cichlid tank will be the first to be setup with driftwood and lace rock so I'll have to wait until then.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I have a question for you guys in regards to using oak leaves.

I am going for an amazon biotope and I think the leaves would add some extra effects to the tank.

My questions are:

Will they float once put into the aquarium? Can I leave them in there or do I have to replace them over time? Should I add just a few leaves or be generous with the amount (it's a 55 gallon)?

I am wanting to use oak leaves as my apartments are surrounded by woods so I have plenty of non polluted or fertilized ones in the woods. And I don't want to spend money on getting indian almond leaves haha.

Any advice would be awesome.

6. Ancistra'

Oak leaves will definitely add that extra something to your Amazon tank.
    Gather clean dry leaves just the way I described above for making extract. Instead of making the extract, though, soak the leaves for a couple of hours until they sink on their own. Push them down in the water to get things started. If you boil them for a few minutes they will sink quickly.

In my area of collection photo you can see the leaves are well submersed in the water due to waterlogging.

The leaves will break down in the aquarium over time, maybe two years, so you will have to replace them. You can store replacement leaves indoors in a dry place.

In a 55 gallon, I'd start with about 10 leaves in a loose pile over to one side of the tank. Observe which fish tend to favor that area.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Wow. I didn't think they'd last that long in water before rotting! That's good to know.

I'll collect more and let you guys see how it looks :)

8. Aironia

Aironia New Member

Not sure if this is where i should post this question, please just let me know if I should start my own thread.

I have added some driftwood to my tank that was once in a blackwater tank. They had been removed and stored dry for a few years before i came along and found them. i soaked them for a few days scrubbed them real good and added them to the tank. I suppose the term leeching means when stuff in the wood 'leeches' out? Is there a way to stop this from happening? Blackwater tanks are beautiful but not at all what i was going for in this tank. Will carbon clean it up alone or should i just remove the wood?

thanks for any help!

9. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

No, you can slow it down. Being that it is an older piece of wood it should not leech tannins much anymore. If you boil it for a few hours that will also get rid of much of the tannins and help it sink again. No real way to stop it though. Depending on the size of the wood and the size of the tank there is a chance that it really will not stain the water at all....

This is not quite the right thread by the way.... there is a thread under Freshwater - General that is a sticky on driftwood.... should go there.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

This is where it should belong... is reptile wood different than fish / aquarium wood?
    I'll see if Anthony can merge it when he gets a chance...no biggie ;)

11. Ancistra'

Hi! I need to clarify something I wrote. I said oak leaves would break down in the aquarium over time, about two years. That's wrong. I was thinking of wood when I wrote that. Wood takes about two years or longer, depending on how soft it is.

Oak leaves break down kind of fast. You need to replace them every few months, but it varies. Other leaves such as leaves from rubber plants take longer to break down. There you're talking about a year or longer. Tough thick leaves take longer to break down than thin crispy leaves.

Collected wood takes about two years to break down. Soft woods take about two years, and hard woods take longer. The best thing to do is to keep an eye on the decor and take out anything that is breaking down faster than you would like it to. Keep some extra clean dry leaves and some pre-boiled wood handy.
    ;)