1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

blue johanni and venustus bred

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by werdo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. werdo

werdo Thread Starter Member

So my female blue johanni and my male venustus bred together and I was wondering if any one else has had the two mix before and what the babies look like when they are older just curious because I got 14 babies and just can't wait to c what they look like when they r bigger lol

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i didn't think that they would/could crossbreed ? i would be curious also as to what the fry would end up looking like.

3. werdo

Found out the female is a hybrid johanni but definitely keep the babies posted

4. werdo

Here's a pic of the babies
    2012-04-02_22-11-23_114-1-1.jpg

5. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

If you get rid of these fish please make sure that whomever obtains them knows they are hybrids. Hybridyzing is just something that I cannot wrap my head around.

6. werdo

It wasn't something I planned on doing just happened let alone thought could happen but definitely couldn't just pawn them off as just one or the other to who ever gets them ill definitely inform them

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i know what you mean on that....i've got a socolofi and greshakei that breed.

8. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I don't think that there is anything wrong with hybrids. It's just what people DO with these hybrids that bothers me. Some of the most amazing animals are hybrids (both visually and commercially; think mules), but when you take something You've bred and sell/give it away as a pure this or that you start propagating a poor standard for the hobby, and endanger the genetic integrity of the breed.

9. werdo

Totally agree with ya I couldn't do that to people iv been sold a.couple fish that were "pure" to find out they are hybrids couldn't do it to people.

10. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I bought "pure" Endlers on aquabid and found out they were likely hybrids -.-;
    Guy I know paid a few thousand dollars for a "star breeder" German Shepard pair and they ended up being mutts that just looked like Shepards. The paper work on them was forged or something. Similar situation, but not exactly a great example.... lol.

Even still, they were excellent dogs. Big, loud, lap-dogs scared of there own shadows XD