1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Breeding clownfish

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by DanBruv, Aug 30, 2009.

1. DanBruv

DanBruv Thread Starter New Member

has anyone done this sucessfully? My dad wants me to try and breed some 'colourful fish' lol. I have a book which says breeding them can be done in captivty, start off with 6 and let them pair off what size tank would i need?

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i had a breeding pair of tomato clownfish and i would say DONT DO IT :geek: It was the most misserable/some what intresting thing to do but definately TO MUCH WORK you start of with 6 and u get a pair ok then when they lay eggs you have to let it hatch with the parents then shine a light so frys swim to the light and syphin them out (harder then it sounds) much be feed LIVE BABY
    BRINE SHRIMP for like 7+ days which is to much work and then u must keep water clean and then you might get SOME to survive me personally only got 6 to survive and i sold them definetly to much hard work [cussing] [cussing] if u want to breed something colorful guppies would be easy, you could try bigger fish if u have room doviis very intresting, jaguars very cool to huge spawns, Discus intresting to breed, rams, EBJD

3. DanBruv

DanBruv Thread Starter New Member

thanks for the advice it does look like its more hassle :p

4. punkazzoverb

punkazzoverb New Member

we had a pair. for 5 years.. we call ed them the million dollar clown fish.( cause we spent so much money trying to make it work).. they would breed and lay eggs.. but never had a successful clutch of fish come out of it... like steve said (DON"T DO IT)