1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Breeding Corydoras

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Breeding Corydoras

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone had any success breeding corydoras? I have 12 in my 75 gallon. They are really neat. They are definately one of my top favorite inhabitants. Eight of them were given to me by a person who could no longer house them and they have since been in my aquarium (approx 2-3 months). Their prior owner said they did spawn all the time but I think with the big change in environment they do not want too. So basically my question is if there are any members on the forum that have success in getting their corys to spawn could you give me some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

what are you water parameters, temp, how often do you do water changes etc.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

The parameters last time I tested were...
    Ammonia/Nitrites 0
    Nitrates between 5 ppm
    pH ranges 6.8-7
    Temp. ranges kept around 75.

Water changes at least once if not twice a week.

75 gallon
    Fish inhabitants...
    2 juvie gold severums
    1 jelly been parrot (very small)
    12 cory cats
    1 rainbow shark
    2 baby angels (being moved shortly) just purchase a second tank.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

try doing a water change and raising the temp slowly to around 80 or 82. This might cause them to spawn.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'd watch that rainbow shark too. He'll eat any eggs he can get his mouth near when they do spawn.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Nice catch anthony I completely overlooked that part. That would be my guess as to whats happening since corys dont watch their eggs and lay them all over the tank. All the shark has to do is follow them with an empty stomach.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

See I have read that you would bring the temp down. Maybe that is what I am doing wrong. I will try bringing it up. When I do a water change I put slightly cooler water in and they seem to get really really excited and interact alot with eachother. They swin to the surface like a dart and then some follow the side of the tank up and down, up and down for sometimes for like 1/2 hour. I have not seen the famous T thing that the websites have said they do before they spawn but that does not mean anything. Maybe it is sharky. I really like the shark he is find with the corys but does not like the sevs or jelly bean to get into his space. It is really funny. I am planning on starting another tank with just a couple angels. Maybe I will put a handful of the corys in with them and see what happens.
    Thanks everyone.
    Could anyone recommend a good conditioning food for the corys?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What are you feeding them now ? A good variety of foods may help.

Also, when doing water changes you should try to match the temperature of the water as close as possible.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I should have specified that ever since reading they spawn with cooler water which would indicate a rain storm or shower I have been doing water changes with alittle cooler water. Before that I always refilled with water that was about the same temp.

I have been feeding them a mix of freezed dried blood worm and shrimp brine pellets. Also an occasional frozen shrimp.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Food seems fine.

How long have you had them and what size are they ?

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You might need to keep the tank and 80 for a while (two weeks or so) and then lower the temp to spark their urge to make or trick them into thinking there was a rainfall.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

The eight I took in are pretty large. I wanna say about 2". I would consider them full grow. I do have 4 others that are small about an 1" they are young. I have had the eight for a couple months, and the 4 little ones for 5 months.

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I had 4 corys in my show tank (125 gallon) and came down a few mornings to see eggs scattered all over my tank. I later found out they were the corys and removed them into a 10 gallon tank below my 125. I am still working on getting them to spawn. They should have done it already..... but aparently as my wife said they dont like the new tank or not used to it so wont spawn there. I am hoping on a successful spawn too

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:03 am

Cooler water changes are the correct thing to do. 50% WC's everyday with cooler water and feed them frozen bloodworms. You will have eggs in a week or two. Mine spawn all the time, C. Aeneus, you will have to remove the eggs if you want them to hatch:)