1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Breeding Discus, anyone have tips

Discussion in 'Discus' started by bellsly, Mar 7, 2009.

1. bellsly

bellsly Thread Starter New Member

I just bought a pair for my community tank and they are slowly adjusting anyone have any tips for me I am new to Discus raising a rearing.

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i say you should seperate then give them their own tank nothing but a breeding cone (i use a brick) bare bottom tank high temp. variety of foods beef heart blood worms etc, clean water quality and try to have less stress as possible. the parents should take care of the frys i seperate before they lay the next batch of eggs

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I agree give the pair there own tank. They would do best in it.

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Yes if you know they are a breeding pair they should be on their own in a bare bottom as stevenrox said... I would put a real breeding cone in the tank myself and not a brick but that should be the only thing in the tank... Also for filtration you want to run a sponge filter powered by a air pump.... You dont want the water moving too much.

Waterchanges and diet are from what I hear the key in breeding them... change the water every 2-3 days about 10-20% and feed high quality live, frozen and granule foods.

If you dont know if they are a breeding pair... leave them in the community in hopes they will pair and lay down a spawn or 2... when that happens go to the barebottom setup mentioned a few paragraphs up.