1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

breeding galaxy rasbora

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by manta975, Apr 18, 2011.

1. manta975

manta975 Thread Starter New Member

just went to the store and bought 5 galaxy rasboras. i know for a fact i have at least one male (very bright finage) and two females (no coloring on the pectoral fin[i think its the pectoral its in the middle]) anyone have experience breeding them? i only got five because they are $6 lol my dad payed for two also. but i would like to have a few more. they are in a 10 gallon tank with my loaches and otos i can put them in a 5 gallon for breeding or put a large ball of java moss in the tank.

any clue how easy this is.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I believe I remember reading that it's not easy. Someone may have more experience with them then I do so see if anyone else chimes in.

3. chickadedede

chickadedede New Member

I talked to the guy at my LFS several months ago and he said it was reasonably easy, but you need to use a sponge filter for some reason. Also, I haven't seen galaxy rasboras at that store since.

4. Ben

Ben New Member

From what I know they are relatively easy but you are gonna need floating plants and some plants at the bottom as well because they scatter their eggs in the plants. Not sure what kind of loaches you have them with but I know a few of my loaches are fry hunters so you may have to watch yours.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

6. manta975

thanks for the answers i ran across that article before but i wanted to here from you guys too. it seems theat they are relatively easy to breed but i think i might only have one female and the other 4 are males lol after a day they have colored up some and seem to be more male but i am not sure yet.

the loaches are checkerboard sand loaches (similar to kulli but smaller) they are very aggressive eaters and even had a go at the galaxys when i first put them in bit they are not big enough. i might try with just the moss in the main tank to see if some survive that way, if not i will put them in the 5 gallon until i have some fry/eggs.

one of my loaches also has eggs now. but i hear the males rarely fertilize the eggs. if i where to get any galaxy fry what would i feed them. i just gave my guppys powdered flake and the are all doing fine but i think they are a bit bigger than the galaxys. would they eat the java?

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I wouldn't count on them eating java, I'd do something along the lines of Hikari First Bites...Livebearer liquid fry food...Decapsulated baby brine shrimp (freshly hatched would have more nutrients, but flash frozen would be okay too).

8. manta975

oki was thinking i might need to buy stuff since galaxys must be more delicate then gupies lol

also, i may just be being optimistic now but i have 4 otos that i have had for about 2 years i think and two of them are very plump i guess, basically when they lay on the ground they are propped up on their belly's the other two lay flat, could they be carrying eggs or are they gust fatties. i hear it is uncommon for them to spawn but is laying eggs uncommon too.

i can snap some good pictures later if anyone would know what to look for thanks.