1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Brown algea

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by bouncer36, Aug 19, 2012.

1. bouncer36

bouncer36 Thread Starter Member

How do you get rid of brown algea?

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I am assuming what you are referring to is diatoms, these are usually seen in newly set up tanks do to excess silicates in the water from the silicone. Try wiping them off manually and they "should" subside with time.

3. bouncer36

Well I used to see it acouple of years ago when I started my tank then some one told to break up my light time and it would go away so I did and it worked now I bought a new lighting system and hadn't been using the timer so now I'm see it again so it back to breaking up my light. Light come on at 600am, then goes off a 1100am comes back on at 300pm then goes off at 900pm for the night. I have forgotton how long is there light suppose to be on for?

4. HBIC

Generally it is suggested about 9 hours or so, but if you are seeing algae growth you can cut it back. You could try 8-11 and then 4-9 and see if that helps.

5. bouncer36

I'm going try break up again I wasn't but now going to start again to see if it helps

6. HBIC

That should help, also try wiping it off manually whenever this has happened in any of my tanks that usually takes care of the problem.

7. mancave1

mancave1 Member

I had to back off my lights to I was getting it and now its all gone .

8. 3ndler3nvy

3ndler3nvy New Member

Also, how old are your bulbs. After about a year the light output of fluorescent tubes changes, this can cause algae.

9. mancave1

mancave1 Member

Never heard that before but it makes sense .

10. Ethan Rafi

Ethan Rafi New Member

Brown algae is normal, you just have to scrub it. Your lights could be on to much each day. If your still having problems havev your light on a smaller amount of time each day. Hope this helps!