1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Brush Algae

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by MOD_Dawn, May 18, 2011.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Upon late night/morning reading I've come across rex grigg's algae post.

It appears that I'm on the right track...the brush algae is due to the co2. Reading his algae chart he claims that it's from LOW co2 (which if you read on, it appears that mine is NOT low).

Using the chart and plugging in my pH (6.0) and my KH (2) it seems that my co2 is definately high (59) and NOT low?

A bit more reading reveals that with my lighting (216w of T5HO over a 90g) I'm bordering the high light range and if I've read correctly my targeted goal for co2 should be 25-30ppm (I apparently need to cut my co2 readings in half).

*so confused, maybe it's from lack of sleep* facepalm

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm not sure how you would have high Co2 levels without introducing Co2 to your tank. When you tested your pH and kH were your lights on ?

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

My guess would be that the high CO2 could be attributed to stocking issues. Poo breaks down and turns to CO2, also if you hope to rid yourself of the BBA I would totally break down and bleach your filters to begin.

4. MOD_Dawn

Tested with lights on.

5. MOD_Dawn

I'd think if it was stocking that I'd constantly have this issue, granted I had it before but then it seemed to rectify itself after a couple rounds of bleaching everything?

And I started working on bleaching everything last night (all the decor/driftwood). I was iffy on bleaching the filters because I know that's gonna create another "cycle" and the filters were just cleaned towards the beginning of the month, but I guess I probably should bleach them out being they've been running for almost 2 weeks since the last cleaning and could possibly have the algae inside them too huh?

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Laguna PhosX(PhosRid) wiped ALL my algae issues out(why do you think I haven't posted any FTS pics lately???) Ill be posting crystal clean and clear tank pics today.

Remove as much as you can by hand then throw some phos remover in the filter, it'll be gone quick. Why would you bleach your filter media? it makes absolutely no sense to do that much work(yea I count the cycle as work so half an hour of cleaning will cost you a month of extra work that is unnecessary)if something else will do it for you,harmless to your filter media and the fish including the discus.
    It wiped out the BBA mat I had on my overflows in the 210 in less then a week, all the hair and BBA is long gone in that tank.

7. MOD_Dawn

I just bleaches the canisters out, as I wasn't going through the hassle of squeezing back their to get the canister tubing.
    As for media it looked good, all I did was squeeze out my sponges and replace the floss.

I've got the tank "clean" and am deciding whether or not I want to add the massive centerpiece of driftwood back or not...I think I like it more open. I know I'll definately add the smaller mounted piece though as I know the bn will need something to rasp on.

Laguna PhosX (PhosRid) you say, never heard of it but will do a bit of online searching to check for where it'd be the cheapest to have it shipped in as the lfs around here don't carry crap.

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I got mine from foster and smith's pond section but I was dealing with the 210 and not a 90 but check them and big als
    aquacave might have it too

9. MOD_Dawn

Thanks! I've found it online, this weekend I should be able to check the local stores...if they ain't got it I'll order online :)

10. MOD_Dawn

Well I tried running the Laguna PhosX (PhosRid)...actually ran a bag in EACH Rena Filstar and just recently I've begun getting brush algae again. Ugh!

It's appearing on my treasure chest, my digital thermometer probe, and you can see where it's trying to start on the emperor 400 intake strainer and the spraybars.

I soo wish I could just ignore it and get used to seeing it, but I simply can't stand looking at this crap!!!
    I enjoy looking at and caring for my tanks, but this stuff makes we want to throw in the towel. I'm planning on cleaning the filters over the weekend and testing the water before I do so to see if anythings a miss, last testing was about a week and a half ago and everything testing within the norms so I'm not really expecting to "find" anything.

My christmas wish...for their to be no such thing as algae!

11. MOD_Dawn

Ran to Elmer's (one of my local fish stores) and purchased a 150g container of Pura Phos-lock stuff. The container said 1 tbsp per 50g and said it would last 2 months, but also said that you could safely add more. This stuff was pricey at $13.90 a container, but I'm pretty desperate at trying to find a "easy'ish" fix to permanently get rid of this stuff and if this works then to me it'll be worth it.

More about the Pura PhosLock here--> http://www.magnavore.com/closerlook/plcl.html

I figured more is better and tossed the whole container in the 300micron sleeve that was included and in to the back of the emperor it went. Fingers crossed that this will work, but I'll keep everyone posted because I know there are others dealing with this crap of an algae.