1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Can a couple of cichlids go in a 20 gal tank?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I was looking them up and there are a couple that seem really cool, but i want to make sure first

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

depends on what kind. The Cichlid family holds thousands of fish (some not kept in aquariums normally) Most of them grow rather large and almost all of them have at least some aggressiveness.

Some prefer long tanks, some breeder tanks, and others high tanks.....

Also the question, South American Cichlids or African Cichlids.

Most all of the Cichlid family require large (55+) tanks.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok, i have a 20 gal tall, pics of my current setup can be seen in the saltwater photo section. It's currently a salt water tank but my puffer just passed so i will be cleaning it out and transforming it back to a freshwater tank. So i'm hoping to get new fish in a couple of weeks. What other brightly colored fish that stay rather small can go in a 20 gall tank?

And for me it doesn't matter what kind, so long their brightly colored, not to expensive, and can live comfortably in my current tank setup, sincei cannot afford anymore decor

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

And i was also reasearching them a bit, and it looks like the only kind of chichlid i might be able to have are rams, which they are still pretty, but what else could survive with them in a 20 gal tall?

5. LemonDiscus

Rams are nice. You would like them. You could add a small shoal of tetras in with them. I would not go too big of a shoal as tetras like longer tanks as they spend a lot of time mid water in the tank to the bottom. I would say 6-8 tetras with the rams.

Lots of color :cool:

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok, i think i've decided that i'll get a german blue ram, and would threadfin rainbows go well with the ram(s)?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I wouldn't recommend rams as your first cichlid. They're picky about their water conditions.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ok, what other brightly colored cichlid should i try, that stays on the smaller size, and i would like something that can get along with another fish, it was hard to have just 1 fish in a 20 gal. So i want something that could at least get along with other fish

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Look at the Cockatoo Cichlids. Your tank is a bit small for them but I think if you set it up well it would be okay.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok, if not cichlids, do you think threadfin rainbows would work, i really like them also

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep, you could get several of those.

12. LemonDiscus

See I did not even think about that as they do like the same water as a Discus.... and Angelfish for that matter (both of which are picky also about water conditions)

Because I keep both of them I did not even think of how "difficult" they are to keep.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

for the threadfin rainbows when i googled their images, i noticed that two kinds showed up. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.aquarticles.com/images/Fish%20Stores%20Canada/Finomenal/p-12%20Discus.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.aquarticles.com/images/Fish% ... Discus.jpg</a> and <a class="postlink" href="http://www.victoria-adventure.org/more_than_links_images/dave_wilson/iriatherina_werneri1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.victoria-adventure.org/more_ ... rneri1.jpg</a> so i'm a little confused, i like them both though

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Your second link is the correct one.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok :D i'm not sure if i like them enough, i'm wanting BRIGHT fish that can somewhat get along with each other even if i can get like 4 brightly colored fish and have a school of neon tetras or something :/ i still have 3 weeks until i decide on which fish i want so i guess ill just keep researching more

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The first link is a Discus.

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

what about the rusty chichlid <a class="postlink" href="http://www.minoltaphotos.com/fish2/Rusty%20Cichlid.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.minoltaphotos.com/fish2/Rusty%20Cichlid.jpg</a>

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't think I would put them in a 20 gallon either.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hmmmmmmm this sucks, its really hard to find bright colored fish that i want to fit in my 20 g, i wish i had enough money/space to set up a bigger tank

20. LemonDiscus

That is one ugly discus in the first link ;)