1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Can a couple of cichlids go in a 20 gal tank?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

haha lol. I think their kind of cool looking. Would a few of those work in a 20 gal?

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Dear god no! 1 maybe (bad idea) a few DEFINITELY not! Those are the fish I keep. Mine are in a 125 gallon. Plus they are very picky. You look at them the wrong way and they may just stress out on you and quit eating. When they quit eating you only have a 5% chance really to get them back eating.... the more days go by the lower that percentage gets. Plus they are like $60 per fish (about 4 inches) any smaller than that and they may stress out as soon as you put them in your tank.

Gets expensive to loose even 1 of them. I have lost about 5 in the past 1-2 years I have been keeping them (usually from bad choices like buying only 1 and then adding 1 more.

I can go on and on about these fish now. That one though in the picture really is ugly. They ARE pretty fish, just not that 1. Too much peppering on it and dull colors (the blue and red are not as vibrant as they could be)

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hahaha ok lol i will deffinently not get any of those then. Lol they sound harder than my puffer was. At first i couldn't get him to eat anything, then he eventually ate, and now he has passed. Lol but many those seem like twice the work as those, lol they don't sound to be really "enjoyable" because their so hard to take care of

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Personally I think you'd be better off to get some colorful community fish like the rainbows and some tetras or something similar. Hardy fish that are pretty forgiving if you have some water quality issues while you're learning to test everything.

5. LemonDiscus

I was just about to suggest that. Some livebearers (mollies, platys and swordtails) for color and some tetras because the shoals are cool to watch! (cardinal tetras are my fave!)

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I love cardinal's too.
    aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_1_14_Cardinal_tetra.jpg

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ill consider the cardinals

8. LemonDiscus

Really Discus are not as hard as they seem. Dont get me wrong they are not easy, but you just need to learn the fish. They talk to their owner by their color. If you dont know how to read that you will loose them. Also buying them you have to know the coloring they should have as you may buy one that will die when transferred to your tank.

Discus are a prime example of do not buy the "runt" because it is "cute".

That runt may be small because of stress and wont live very long.

They ARE worth the "trouble" but get used to easier fish before moving on to a fish like that. If you can keep an Angelfish alive you have a 75% chance of keeping Discus alive. They are much alike in water parameter likes and needs.

9. LemonDiscus

They cost like $1-2$ more a piece than the closely related neon tetra, but are much more colorful and hardy. 6-8 of those and you will not regret it.

I am going to get 15-20 cardinals for my Discus tank when I get around to dropping $60 on more fish (no time soon I dont think)

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yea lol they would be to much work for me. After my puffer passing away in his saltwater tank, i guess i just want something a lot less complicated but yet it still being a hardy attractive fish. In the past i've had Gourami's, mollies, rosy barbs, danios, and some other stuff that i can't remember and i want something different.

11. LemonDiscus

Gourami's are cool! Why not get a few of them maybe for a larger fish with the tetras instead of the livebearers?

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i may try them again, i think i'd rather special order them than buy the ones at the petstores because i've already had them, so maybe a couple brightly colored gouramis, lol i remember when my puffer ate all of my gouramis

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thaifishingguide.com/images/fish/freshwaterfish/snakeskin_gourami.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thaifishingguide.com/images/ ... ourami.jpg</a> this one isin't really bright but its pretty, i've had the gold goruami, pearl, opaline, powder blue, and a couple others before

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The Flame Dwarf is a pretty Gourami.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

the flame's are kind of pretty

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/gourami_sunset_200.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/g ... et_200.jpg</a> sunset gourami, soooooooooooo pretty

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Looks similar to the Dwarf Flame.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yea i was also looking up the paradise gourami some are really pretty

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Alright so i finally have found 3 gourami's that i like, and am still looking for one more, so here they are: Paradise Gourami, Licorcie Gourami, and Sunset thick lip gourami

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

So i have officially made up my mind. When my tank is ready i'm just going to keep it simple but yet still have color. I will probably get about 4 dwarf gourami's, 5 neon tetras, 5 cardinals, and 10 fancy guppies, sounds like a lot of fish for a 20 gal but with my tank's currnent setup there should be plenty of hiding/swimming places, and none of those fish get big.