1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Can Endler Hybrids Breed?

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by eeyipes, Jun 29, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

Wonderful Endler's!

I just got 5 Endler's in the mail 2 days ago ... never received live fish in the mail before as was impressed at how hardy these little guys were to be able to make the trip with no problems. I've enjoyed them so much so far, I am secretly hoping they breed like mad and take over my whole 29 gallon :D

I do have one fancy guppy in the tank with them, and realize he will try to interbreed with the Endler's gals. I've read some conflicting points of view on whether the Endler-Guppy hybrids are sterile or not. Anyone here know for sure from experience? I'm trying to decide if I should dedicate a 10 gal just for them to keep them pure (if the hybrids are sterile, no guppy traits will be passed over and over, if they are not sterile, then uh oh!)

Anyone know?

Diane

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Great question Diane.

The guppy and Endler will breed together and all resulting fry will be able to breed as well. I keep my guppies and Endler separate because of this. My Endler's are class N, meaning they're pure and can be traced back to their collection point so breeding them with guppies would destroy my whole collection.

Do you know what class your Endler's are ? Where did you order them from ?

3. eeyipes

Oops :confused:

I received them from someone else I met on another fishy forum ... according to him they are pure. 2 males, 3 females, and don't show any guppy traits. They are not full grown yet.

Think 2 days with my Mr Macho Guppy Man destroyed the bunch? O well ..

If I do set up an Endler tank at some point, I'll just have to find some fresh stock for it then ... where do you get yours? Seeing how well they did on their trip, I'd order them online again no problem.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Chances are if the females are old enough they're already pregnant so you won't have to worry about your guppy mixing with them that quickly. If you want to keep them pure I'd move the guppy pretty soon.

5. eeyipes

Yes, all 3 girls have gravid spots, they arrived that way. So perhaps there's time to set up a 10 gal just for them.

So then the real question is ... how do I convince my wonderful DH that I need to set up yet another tank just for Endler's ... suppose I could threaten to bring home another puppy, and instead bring home a 10 gal , he'd be so relieved! :) Poor guy, he thinks I need a hobby that doesn't involve living things. :confused:

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL that sounds like a good idea.

I've been told that before too. Some people just don't understand. Hehe

7. yikesjason

yikesjason New Member

I have had some snakeskin hybrids for over a month now and yet to see any fry. I have read that hybrids are a little more like guppies and will eat more of their own fry. But there is plenty of plant cover even if they were getting eaten.

Any ideas?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Obvious questions first: What are your water parameters, tank maintenance schedule, how many females and males do you have ?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

As for the husband... beg and plead and then say you got a heck of a deal on craigslist and just couldn't resist.. works everytime.