1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Can New Plants Contaminate?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

This is a newbie question, but I was wondering if new plants should be quarantined?

I've heard of new fish and rocks contaminating a tank, and I assume maybe plants could present a danger, too?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's a good idea. Often time if you get plants from pet stores and those plants are in tanks with sick fish a disease may be present on the plant itself or in the water that comes with it.

3. Keuzeserver

Keuzeserver New Member

If I buy new plants I allways set them in an seperated tank for at least 14 days. Most of the time I refresh the water of the tank too at least 2 times.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah. It wouldn't hurt to add plant safe medications to the water either, if you're really paranoid. Hehe

5. Keuzeserver

Keuzeserver New Member

I know the best solution, you should cook them like the rocks :)

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm sure some nice boiled plants would look really nice in your aquarium. :)

7. dig317537

dig317537 New Member

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

i dont think id ever attempt to use bleach on plants

9. dig317537

dig317537 New Member

i don't use the bleach method either i use the alum version to remove the microscopic bugs and snails algae is the least of my concern cause if you have a good filter algae normally clears itself and fish and inverts eat so i think algae is ok

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, the algae wouldn't worry me. I really never thought about parasites or anything hitching a ride on plants before. Luckily the people I purchased plants online from had healthy tanks.

11. Jake

Jake Administrator

my fish love those algae sheets you get at petsmart

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I just got some java moss in the mail. First, or all let me tell you it smells terrible from being in that hot, wet bag, whewwww. So, I am soaking it in some fresh water now and I plan on rinsing it really well, is there anything else I need to do?

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Also I forgot to ask how do you "plant" this stuff?

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Hopefully it doesn't die from the heat.

With java moss you just have to anchor it down with a rock or tie it to something. It will quickly attach itself to something. I push my finger in the substrate and just push a bit of the java moss down like that.

15. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

make a good thick batch or ick cure and soak em in it for 30 mins the rinse the heck out of them pretty much kills anything except for maybe a few sanil eggs

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

What snail eggs? They are supposed to be "guaranteed" snail free! Ill let you knw how true that statement is or isnt.

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You can use a bleach dip 1 part bleach to 20 parts water or use Potassim Permangenate with the bleach dip make sure you only dip the actual plant not the roots and be sure to then put them in a bucket with some dechlored water, prime is what I use:)

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

DEFINATELY avoid the bleach method, My husband caught a note stating I was going to clean up and rearrange my 90...anyways he thought he'd do me a favor and wash up the plants with a 15:1 water to bleach 2 minute soak and refresh them in a good 10 minute soak of water and Prime. Well he replaced them back in my tank and within 24 hours most of them were mushy looking and everything breathing was at the top of my tank gasping! When I came home I immediately removed all the plants, replaced filter media, and did a major water change. I now have a plantless tank! He's soo lucky he was trying to do something nice or there would have been serious repercussions!
    I'm now in the market for some low-medium light plants needless to say :(

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

The bleach method works you just can't dip the roots:)

20. Front Man

Front Man New Member

There is no such thing as guaranteed snail free - I found out the hard way. My advise is to quarantine the plants for 2 weeks after dipping them in the bleach solution mentioned. The last thing you want are snails or disease.