1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

can you make a 10 gal a salt water tank?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Leslie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

I just was woundering if you could make a 10 gal a salt tank. if anyone can tell me illbe thankful.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You sure can :D I had a 10 gallon saltwater tank not long ago. Smaller saltwater tanks are commonly called "Nano Tanks".

3. caronsd

caronsd New Member

what kind of fish can you put in a 10 gallon saltwater tank? I was also looking at this option

4. Leslie

ok. well ive never had a salt tank of any kind. i need to be schooled on it first. does any one know what all i need. i know that the filter system that they come with at walmart dont work. or do they anyone that can offer me some help. this is going to be kinda a project to see it i do any good.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

When I had my tank I kept a small tomato clown, a few damsels and a goby of some sort.

Saltwater requires more time and maintenance. Keeping the water chemistry in a 10 gallon tank is extremely difficult because it can fluctuate so easily. When I had mine it required maintenance every day.

6. Leslie

what kind of mant.? what would have to be done everyday??

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Water has to be tested, salt added or water added depending on salinity, calcium levels etc.

8. Leslie

do i have to buy a special filter? and what type of fish can live in it and coral if any coral?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A wet dry filter and possible a protein skimmer would be needed.

Any fish that stay pretty small can be kept in it, with some little crabs, snails, coral and inverts.

If you're going to do coral and inverts you need special lighting, which is costly.

10. Leslie

dang. well never mind with that.i guess ill just keep it a freshwater tank. maybe one day when i get a bigger tank and feel like dealing with it. (when im not prego, i dont want any extra work, lol) thank you so much!!!

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL yeah, small saltwater tanks are much harder than larger ones so when you can get a 55+ gallon tank I'd go for it.

12. Leslie

yeah, thats what i want but i dont think that will happen any time soon. they cost way to much. now if i could get one for free or very cheap id do it asap. maybe next year.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, buying larger tanks and everything needed to set them up is costly.

14. Leslie

yeah i had a 50 gal tank but droped it on the sidewalk outside my house when i was moving it into my house. i nearly cried. ill just steak to my freshwater since i know a little more about it.

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Ouch, I would have had a fit.

16. Leslie

well i couldnt really get to mad. my grandmother gave it to me, but once it broke i keep it and put some gekos in it, lol. it just cracked it so it worked.

17. gangstafish

gangstafish Member

The filter that you are referring to is the one that came with the tank correct? It is a whisper filter and it will work for salt. As a matter of fact any fresh water filter will work on a saltwater setup. As for a protein skimmer they have a small nano one on line called a Fission. It costs $23.00. As for maintainence, you only have to do alot of it if you have a full blown Reef tank. A fish only with live rock doesn't need that much maintainence. Here's a link to a pic of my wifes 7 gallon nano tank. <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&p=56747#p56747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=35&p=56747#p56747</a>

this link will take you to our 15g nano tank <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&p=56748#p56748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=35&p=56748#p56748</a>

18. Leslie

wow!! thats beautiful. are there any good books you can sugest for me to read so i can decide?

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Very nice little nano tank. I've always loved clown fish.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Unlike freshwater, almost all saltwater fish are not restricted to "grow the size of their tank". Therefor it is possible but definitely not recommended for the health and well being of most marine life. Besides it's expensive to go saltwater, and chances are you will want to upgrade to something bigger within a year anyway so you should just do it right the first time for your sake and for the sake of the life you'll be supporting.