1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

can you make a 10 gal a salt water tank?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Leslie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i agree but with the ways thing are now in the hobby you can get a 6 gal. pico.....alot of companies are making things smaller for the ppl that don't have the space or just for office use, etc.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

There is no doubt they make them, unfortunately that is the problem with a lot of suppliers they will produce misleading merchandise only to make a profit and confuse consumers. But, like I said if you want stress free fish with longevity purchase a tank that will provide just that, and in the long run you will find you are spending less money.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I usually recommend people that want to start out in SW to go with a tank around 30 gallons. At 30 gallons, its not so small that the water evaporates very quickly and therefore you don't have to be on top of water top offs and testing the sg.

Also with 30 gallons there is a lot more options for fish. I can tell that most of you probably won't agree with this, but in a 10 gallon tank I would only put one ocellaris clown. Other clowns like tomato or maroon get too big, IMO. And maybe you can squeeze a goby into a 10 too with a clown. Anything less than 10 gallons I would say is strictly for shrimp, hermits and snails.

You don't really need a skimmer on a 10 gallon especially if you keep up with water changes. I have a 55g fowlr with no skimmer and my fish are fine, I just have to make sure I do water changes :) If you want corals and such though, a skimmer is the way to go.

A 30 gallon tank won't cost that much more than a 10 and it will be much easier to maintain.

4. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i personally love the nano's and pico's, and basically they're made for fish that don't need much space.......
    i don't think anyone in their right mind will put a tang in one of those but there's nothing wrong with having a nice pr. of purple firefish in there with a lil' landscape.....
    it's all about personal prefrence....

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I definitely agree.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Whooohooo! At least someone does ;)

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Two against two. :)

8. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

hey there's no fighting allowed on this forum....but i guess we can call it a debate :) ..........
    i'm going to start a 10 gallon sw....i have the tank, skimmer, heater, rock, pumps and a bio wheel.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

10. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

i have to disagree my buddy had a oscar that grew as long as the tank almost and i got another freind with 2 pleco's that are longer than their tank

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

No, Pee wee I agree that fish will grow to the size of their tank, but what that guy is implying is that in freshwater fish, you can put an oscar in a 40 gallon tank and it will only grow big enough to live in that tank, so like maybe 6" and then stop growing.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Some fish will stop growing if kept in a tank too small for it, but it's only temporary. They will begin to grow again but their stunted growth will have caused a lot of internal problems. The fish won't live a normal, long life.

13. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

well i got my ten up and going....i'm going to take some pics later....