1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

canister Filters?????

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by GREENTEAL52, Apr 22, 2010.

1. GREENTEAL52

GREENTEAL52 Thread Starter Member

I have 37 gallon set up and with 2 filters penguin 350 and top fin 40 ; and would like add a canister too complete the filtration on this tank .Thinking of the rena xp1 but not quite sure??!! George
    My new 37 gallon hex tank aquarium

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Ive never used rena, Ive got a mag 350 (original model from 20+ years ago still runs strong) I did get a eheim PRO 3 2080 yesterday in the mail.

Canisters are nice but they do run the risk of burping mulm into the tank via the hose build up. Kinda like a UGF they can become ticking time bombs but with regular maintence they are awesome.

Other then that I cant help much Icve just heard alot about rena replacement parts and media being hard to find and expensive for what it is.

3. GREENTEAL52

Thanks . Eheims are good and use fluvals in the past 10 yrs ago but much has changed!!!

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I use the Marineland C220 on my 20 gallon tank. Love it on this size tank. For a 40 gallon I'd suggest a Rena or Marineland as they are both nice filters and seem to be less expensive then the Eheims or Fluvals.

5. GREENTEAL52

I can pick up a rena for about 100 $ amd at 250 gal per hr maybe the best but not the Fanciest

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

8. GREENTEAL52

Thanks Dawn , I bought xp2 for the same price as the xp1 :)) very kool

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

save yourself some money (after the 20ppi foam pad and 30ppi foam pad of course)
    and use something such as this for your filter floss (micro-filtration pads for the rena are about $7.00 for 2 and they usually don't last beyond a month).
    Morning Glory Premium Polyester Fiberfill (Filter Floss)

ps. with the rena you can do inline heating with the hydor (just in case your trying to keep most of the equipment out of the tank...you can also inline uv sterilizer with them...and prefilter them with the Lustar Filter Max (I use the 3 on my xp4's due to there high output).

10. jasonG

jasonG New Member

OK I didnt want to open a new thread since this one is fairly new.. Here is my question. I am new to canisters so I dont know. I finally broke down and got one. My canister came with Carbon, ammonia neutralizing crystals and ceramic rings . Now obviously I have to bag the Carbon and ammonia neutralizing crystals but do I have to bag the ceramic rings? Also coulld I put the Carbon, ammonia neutralizing crystals in the same tray? Also what ORDER should these go in.

THANKS in advance.

11. GREENTEAL52

No the rings don;t have to be bagged , that's your bio usually goes in a separate tray

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

2nd that, the rings (and theirs round balls that work the same way for that matter too, in addition to people using broken pieces of terra cotta) don't need bagged.

you could squeeze more than 1 type of media in 1 tray depending on how big your trays are.

I normally do from Bottom to top (rena xp4)
    [*]Media ...(from bottom to top)
    a) Rena 20ppi foam
    b) Rena 30ppi foam
    c) Either Eheim Ehfimech, Substrat Pro, a combination of the 2 Eheim products, or Rena Bio-Chem Stars
    d) Morning Glory Premium Polyester Fiberfill, Rena Micro-Filtration Pads, or Purigen Pouches

13. jasonG

jasonG New Member

Right now this is how mine is stacked
    Bottom to top

ammonia neutralizing crystals
    Carbon
    ceramic rings
    Foam

The trays are quite large so maybe I can do this
    Bottom to top
    Foam
    ammonia neutralizing crystals & Carbon
    ceramic rings
    Foam

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You'll always want your foam first. You won't want debris to be flowing through the carbon or ceramic rings.

15. jasonG

jasonG New Member

Ok so I guess I don't know how the FLOW works.

I have 4 trays, and the tray at the botttom has ammonia neutralizing crystals then the next tray has the carbon and the next one is the ceramic rigs and finally Foam then the POWER HEAD.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What canister filter are you using ?

17. jasonG

jasonG New Member

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

most canisters flow from bottom to top (you'd have to check yours).
    you want the dirty water to flow through the foams first to trap the larger debris (larger pored sponge..then smaller pored sponge)...I do a larger pore then a smaller pore sponge directly above it in the next tray (large one traps big stuff, smaller pored one traps the smaller stuff)...then you can do your other stuff, but if your doing a prefilter or micron filter pad you always want that on the VERY top of the canister so that's the last thing the water runs through.

Hope that makes sense.

19. jasonG

jasonG New Member

OK guys I need your assistance ONCE AGAIN. This POS canister is being returned. I came back from vacation and the canister wasnt working. I sent the powerhead back to the seller and finally got it back yesterday. The propeller wouldnt turn so the seller is giving me a FULL refund.

Now what is DEPENDABLE and reliable.

20. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Rena Filter seem to get the best feedback