1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself Canopy

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Has anyone built a canopy for their tank ? I've been wanting to add one to mine but can't get myself to spend to $150 for one when I know it would cost maybe $50 to build myself.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've seen lots of sites and youtube "how to" vids, but I never gave it a whirl as patience isn't my strong point these days. Lol!

I truly couldn't see it being THAT hard as it's basically a rectangle with the back side flap open to allow the heat to dissipate.

3. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Yeah, I just watched a video on it. Doesn't seem TOO hard. Get some 1x2"s and screw them together slightly bigger than the tank and put some braces on the inside for it to sit on. Might have to take a drive to Home Depot on Friday when I'm off and see what wood costs these days.

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

just need some 1x's for the trim braces and some sheet ply around it, some wood putty and some sand paper. gonna need screws too, use deck screws they wont rust near as fast. get some hinges and you are good to go, will take about half of 50 bucks and about an hour maybe 2 if you are unfamiliar with wood working.